Over the past few weeks there has been a rise in the number of incidents where residents have reported person(s) suspected of being within their gardens and there has been a housebreaking in South Hamilton Road, North Berwick. The police are investigating these incidents, but this notice is aimed at raising awareness of residents in North Berwick and to remind them to be both vigilant and security conscious. If you see any strange or unusual behaviour or any suspicious person(s) or vehicles please contact the Housebreaking Team at Dalkeith Police Station on 0131 654 5560 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Crime Prevention Advice
Think about this - How would you get into your home if you had forgotten your keys?
* Ideally at all times, but particularly before you go out or go to bed at night, make sure that all doors and ground floor, or accessible windows are locked. Ensure keys are removed from doors and windows when out of the house.
* Fit window locks to all windows, including skylights or bathroom fanlights. Most DIY shops sell inexpensive, key operated locks to fit most kinds of windows. You may need more than one lock depending on the size of the window. Fit anti-lift plates to patio doors. Never leave keys in keyholes or under mats etc, when you are out.
* Don’t leave valuables out and in open view when the house is not occupied. Keep all money, purses and wallets etc, in a safe place within your home.
* Make sure all security lighting is working properly.
* If going away for a few days let a neighbour or your local police station know.
* Most break-ins occur when a house or flat is empty. Don’t advertise your absence when you are out and about. Use time switches, which work on lights, radios and other appliances. This can help make premises appear occupied.
* Mark your property with some form of identification i.e. your postcode, house number or name. This is unattractive to a thief and can be marked by using an ultra-violet pen, engraving etc. Noting a good description also makes it easier to identify property.
All local residents are asked to be vigilant to such incidents and report any suspicious or inappropriate behaviour as soon as possible. If you would like a Crime Prevention Survey carried out on your home or have any information to assist us please contact:
PCC 11065E Ross Toles
Dalkeith Police Station
Phone: 0131 654 5560