North Leigh U13s - Match centre

Bourton Rovers Youth
North Leigh
Sat 18 Feb 10:30 - League Full time Attendance 44

Bourton 2:1 North Leigh

Unlucky North Leigh go down to Bourton

This week the boys made the trip into Gloucestershire to face Bourton Rovers as they returned to action after 3 weeks without football due to the Weather.
North Leigh started the game well with the wind behind their backs the boys played some of their best football for a long time as they were passing the ball well from back to front. They were unlucky not to take an early lead when the tenacious Ethan Austin made a surging run through the midfield and he hit a well struck shot from the edge of the box that luckily for the Bourton keeper went straight at him either side it would have been a goal. The wide players Toby Gregory and Conor Murphy were heavily involved and from a nice move down the right hand side Murphy got to the bye line and pulled a cross back to Callum Keyes who was unlucky to see his shot on the angle go the wrong side of the post and into the side netting. On 9 minutes skipper Harvey King had to be replaced by Cameron Hadfield due to an ankle injury. The boys were playing with real confidence and they deservedly took the lead on 12 minutes when a Gregory corner was chested down by Charlie Twiss into the path of Keyes who turned on a six pence to fire the ball into the net from close range.
Half Time:- Bourton 0-1 North Leigh
The message at half time from the gaffer was the same again. Bourton started the second half much stronger but the defence held firm with Charlie Twiss impressing. On 20 minutes Austin played the ball to Gregory who went on a rampaging run from the half way line but just as he was about to shoot a Bourton defender took the ball off his toe with a fine tackle. As the game went on it was turning into a midfield battle. With 5 minutes to go the Bourton’s left winger hit a wind assisted cross cum shot and luckily for Ed Knight in the North Leigh goal who had been a spectator for most of the game the ball sailed over his head but hit the bar and bounced to safety. Immediately Gregory played the ball up to Keyes who sprinted clear and he was very unlucky as he hit a well struck shot that went inches over the bar. 2 minutes later Bourton forced a corner which was whipped in and the ball fell to a Bourton player 3 yards out and he toe poked the ball home to equalise. With time running out the boys got hit with a sucker punch as a loose ball fell to a Bourton player who shot home from the edge of the box giving Knight no chance for the winning goal.
Full Time:- Bourton 2-1 North Leigh
This was one of those games that leaves you scratching your head and wondering how we lost that game as the boys put in one of their best performances of the season. It was a great team effort from back to front.
Man of the Match:- Charlie Twiss who put in another fine defensive display.
Second Game
Bourton 3 -2 North Leigh
Both goals were scored by Bailey Wyatt.
Man of the Match:- Connor Butler who is getting better with every game he plays.
The second game was a hard fought affair. It was end to end from the first minute. A draw would have been a fair result. Special mention for the first goal that was scored by Bailey Wyatt as it was an 8 pass move that involved every outfield player for North Leigh. On the whole it was a very enjoyable morning with all the boys playing well, in tricky conditions. It showed that the boys are developing there football skills nicely and taking on board what they are being taught.


Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors