In the beginning
The club was formed in the 1921 / 1922 season by Eric Pendlebury and Alan Farmer. It went under the name of Prestwich Rugby Union Football Club. Although they only started with one team there were enough players to finish the season in 1922 with two teams.
The first ground was on Phillips Park Road near the centre of Prestwich. The teams washed and changed in the Wilton Arms pub. A local farmer kept cows on the playing field during the week. The original strip of Royal blue and gold was quickly changed to chocolate brown with gold trim as this was easier to keep clean!
In 1926 the club moved to Heaton Park, to fields near to the St. Margarets entrance. The club paid £2 12 shillings annual rent for a small house nearby for changing.
During the early 1930s the club moved home again to two pitches owned by Waterdale Dyeing and Finishing company. They recruited enough players to run three teams and built pavilion. The popularity continued and in 1936 Prestwich RUFC had enough money to erect a covered stand.
The Second World War meant play was suspended between 1939 to 1945.
During the war the Ministry of Agriculture took over Waterdale for the “Dig for Victory” campaign. Unfortunately the M.O.A. did not release the ground after the war had finished. A nomadic existence then followed and the club played at various grounds in and around the Prestwich area for five seasons directly after WWII.
The move to Rhodes
In 1951 there was a move to the old Rhodes cricket club in Broad Street, which was owned by Calico Printers Association. A seven year lease at £10 per year was agreed. The ground was eventually bought from CPA in 1961 for £2,230. A new location also resulted in a new name – Prestwich & Middleton RUFC
Northern Division » North Lancashire Division One
|4||Didsbury Toc H||0|
|9||St Edward's O.B.||0|
|11||To be arranged 1||0|
Last updated Tuesday 2nd September, 03:44