Records exist that a team from Nostell Colliery won a Wakefield District football competition in the 1890s; the club has photographs of Nostell Colliery teams from 1915 and 1921. At that time, the football field was not in its present location but on two sites close by. The Miners Welfare was formed in 1928 after the purchase of the land by the Miner's Trust Fund. The sum of Â£400 was paid to a local land owner for 4.5 acres which includes the land on which the present ground is situated.
A Miners Welfare football team was formed and enjoyed early success. The club owns a medal donated by a former player from the 1930s and a photograph of the team that won the Wakefield & District League in 1938.
In the late 1960s, the club had a period of sustained success winning several Wakefield District competitions and eventually being selected into the West Yorkshire League. They lifted the League and Cup double in the 1966-67 season. However, the team eventually broke up and the club fell back to the Wakefield League in the early 1970s.
Enjoying relative success, the club began to develop again and two new teams were formed. The first team joined the West Yorkshire League in 1982.
Following mining subsidence to the ground, fund raising of over Â£30,000 allowed the pitch to be levelled off, drainage installed and other ground improvements undertaken. However, Nostell colliery was closed, the nearby colliery houses were demolished and the Welfare struggled to survive.
The football continued through this difficult and promotions through the Divisions of the West Yorkshire League eventually led to Premier Division status.
The most successful period in the club's distinguised history was about to begin, with the appointment of current manager Alan Colquhoun in the late 1990s. After initially struggling in the Premier League, the club gradually improved, eventually being crowned Champions of the West Yorkshire League.