Nuneaton Town are pleased to confirm that the transition to Nuneaton Borough Football Club is underway, beginning with the official adoption of the club badge and all future press releases coming under the Borough name. Over the coming days fans will notice changes to the clubs website and social media as they are brought inline with the new moniker.
The change comes about as the result of a fan survey that suggested an overwhelming percentage of the Boro' faithful were in favour of a return to the clubs traditional name. Then Chairman Lee Thorn made it a point of emphasis for the 2017/18 season to undertake the work required for the application to fulfil the fans' wishes.
With the backing of the Nuneaton Town Supporter's Cooperative, who have helped fundraise, the club were granted permission by the Football Association and the National League to head back to the Borough.
In 1889, Nuneaton St. Nicholas were the first team to play senior football within Nuneaton. Five years later, they changed their name to Nuneaton Town, and played until 1937, when the club was disbanded. However, two days later, Nuneaton Borough F.C. were founded and played under that name until 2008, when the club was liquidated, and, due to an FA ruling, were reformed as Nuneaton Town.
The clubs final game under the Borough name was on the 26th of April 2008 and was a local derby with near neighbours Tamworth. Boro' finished 1-0 victors thanks to Alex Rodman's 70th minute winner in front of over 1000 fans as they ended their Conference North season in 7th place. A decade later we're delighted to be 'back to the Borough'.