Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Oval Zone Rugby app


Pontypridd 18 v RGC 32 - match report by Dean Jones

2 months ago By Gary Williams

RGC continued their outstanding start to the Principality Premiership season with an eye-catching 32-18 win at Pontypool.

The home side opened the game strongly and went ahead early on when Dale Stuckey dotted over after just four minutes, with Ceri Sweeney firing over the extras.

Pont extended their advantage soon after when Sweeney despatched a penalty on eight minutes after another significant spell of possession, but Mark Jones’ men gradually started to find their feet following their latest setback which resulted in improved fortunes at the other end of the field.

Forward Tim Grey reduced the arrears with a surging drive after 31 minutes of play, and although Billy McBryde missed the conversion he made up for it on 35 when he drilled over a free-kick of his own from long range.

This provoked a strong response from the home side, who made it a five-point game at the break with another well-struck penalty from the impressive Sweeney.

After the interval saw the hosts immediately impose themselves on the second period and Ian Hughes crossed the white wash on 42 minutes thanks to a sweeping move, but Sweeney was unsuccessful with his extra-point attempt.

Jones’ men hit back almost instantly when replacement Cameron Davies produced a scintillating run to penetrate the Pont defence before touching down. McBryde fired over the extras to bring them within three.

A series of penalties midway through the half stopped the Gogs’ momentum during a critical stage of the contest, but their pressure finally told once again on 70 minutes when former Wales U18 international Dan Owen scored after RGC successfully won the ball from a line out.

McBryde fired the conversion attempt wide, but the Gogs were now in rampant mood and they pulled further clear immediately following the restart thanks Owen, who rounded off a sensational individual display with his second unconverted try with 72 gone.

The visitors were now fully in the ascendancy and added to their tally with two minutes of normal time remaining as winger Sam Jones displayed his trademark pace to go over and round off the scoring.

Updated 07:38 - 22 Sep 2018 by Gary Williams

Where next?

Fundraiser for Mathew and his family Welsh rugby player Mathew Parry suffered a broken neck on Saturday 15th Sept 2018 while playing for Pwllheli RFC against his former club Bethesda.
RGC v Merthyr - pre-match festival opportunity for U7 and U8 Please contact Allan as soon as possible to register your club.

Video Advertising


Loading comments

Quilter Kids First Champions winner – November: Hinckley RFC

News sponsors


Club sponsors