Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Paget Rangers F.C app


Match Report: Paget Rangers 3-0 Wolverhampton Casuals

1 year ago By Joshua Smith

The Buildbase FA Vase First Qualifying Round

Paget Rangers stormed into the second qualifying round of the Buildbase FA Vase with a 3-0 victory over West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division side Wolverhampton Casuals, thanks to goals from Daniel Carter, Lemaar Rhule and Ryan Conlon.
The game started off with an immediate attack down the left from Paget which resulted in a throw in and the response from the visitors was also immediate with Liam Hughes sending a shot just wide.

Only a minute later the Trevor Brown Memorial Ground would entertain a penalty appeal, which would be one of many on a cool Friday night in Royal Sutton Coldfield, as Daniel Carter went down. But cries for a penalty of a penalty fell on death ears.
It was a hectic opening few minutes with the Cassies looking dangerous with their over the top balls and a long range effort from Brad
Sharman forced a good save from Wee Gers captain Josh Benton. With just six minutes played it was Casuals’ turn to appeal for a penalty when Ray Facey went down in the Paget box. However, for Wolverhampton chance would be fine thing.
Arguably the first real chance of the game would come two minutes later when a free kick, which was earned after Luke Bradley was brought down, was headed onto the upper right by Mark Williams.

The game calmed down for a couple of minutes when Ryan Conlon and Shaquille Lee clashed heads just a few yards in the Casuals’ half, thankfully both players were able to continue playing.
It was the home side that began to take control, having most of the possession but when the away side did have the ball they often looked threatening, and a great example of this was in the 16th minute when an excellent move between Hughes and Luke Noble was halted by Dean Morris.

With the action packed first 20 minutes coming to an end there was room for one more piece of drama; when Conlon was played through on goal but was brought down by Jordan Uppal. The Wolverhampton defender was shown the red by referee for ‘denying a clear goal scoring opportunity’, not for being the last man as some in the crowd were arguing he was falsely sent off for.
Carter duly stepped up and with a slow run up sent Vitor Penhero the wrong way, as he slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.
Naturally the match began to calm down with both teams adjusting to the shape of the game now there was one less body on the pitch, despite that both teams continued to have chances with the Casuals hoping to grab an equaliser before the break.

The visitors would have hoped to grab an equaliser from the spot after Jay Holdcroft went down, however instead of waving the claims away the referee awarded the Bears a free kick, which did not please the travelling supporters. It was to be the last major talking point of the opening 45 minutes as Paget went into the break with one foot in the second round of qualifying.

After the red card in the first half the Cassies had a bit of determination about them, but they were unable to continue that into the second half. After the break a disciplined Paget team, that knew they had the upper hand thanks to the one goal and one man advantage emerged.

And it didn’t take long for the Bears to begin to put the game to bed. Bradley controlled an over the top ball crossed it to Carter, who headed it to Lemaar Rhule and the Paget midfielder duly sent the ball into the bottom corner, giving Paget a healthy two goal lead.

Paget were hunting for a third and a great one-two between Bradley and Conlon looked promising, the Bears were definitely beginning to take advantage of the extra man.
The home side didn’t have to wait long for the third (and final) goal of the night when Liam Norris’ clearance bizarrely played Conlon through and with immense amount of space the number 9 was able to coolly take it past the keeper and send the ball smoothly into the goal.

With plenty of time left on the clock you wouldn’t rule out the opposition attempting to mount an ambitious comeback, but with fewer men it just wasn’t something the Cassies would be able to successfully try.
Ross Dempster, Billy Fagg and Myles Phipps were brought on to cause the opposition side even more bother but the Bears were unable to find the net again and the score remained 3-0 to Paget.

You can watch all the goals here.

Updated 23:12 - 9 Sep 2017 by Joshua Smith

Where next?

On This Day 10th September Paget crash out of the Worcester Senior Cup at Halesowen Town
Paget Rangers' 2016/17 Buildbase FA Vase Journey The Bears Begin Embark On The Road To Wembley


Loading comments

Up your game with easyfundraising

Sat 27 Oct
1st Team Rocester
League 15:00
Sat 3 Nov
1st Team NKF Burbage
League 15:00

News sponsors


Club sponsors