A BRIEF HISTORY OF PANMURE RUGBY F.C.
It is reported that the name ‘Panmure’, was chosen because a number of the original members, who founded the Club on 18th September, 1880, lived in or near Panmure Terrace in Dundee. The Club’s first pitch was beside the Law and in it’s early days it was an open Club without former pupil affiliations.
The first matches played in the closing months of 1880 were against Dundee High School, Newport and Dundee Institution. Of these three old opponents, only Dundee High School FPRFC has remained and share their 125th Anniversary with us.
In 1884 Panmure RFC joined the Scottish Rugby Union, itself only twelve years old. In 1886 a second XV was constituted and the Club took a firm root in Dundee.
In 1888 Panmure RFC arrived in Broughty Ferry as tenants of Forfarshire Cricket Club, with their opening game being played against old rivals Perthshire who narrowly beat Panny by a drop goal to a try.
In 1906, after twenty six years in existence the Club elected their first President Mr. J. Millar. From 1908 until 1913, Captained by R.C.Cunningham then G.M. Cleghorn Panmure won the North of Scotland Cup for five years running.
Between 1914 & 1918 Club activities were suspended.
The period from the 1920’s to the early 1930’s were without significant success. The tide turned when in 1936 and 1939 when Panmure won the Midlands Sevens, and also the North of Scotland Knockout Cup in 1937, 1938 and 1939.
Again the Second World War ended Club activities for six years.
The fifties again saw a rewarding time for the Club and fixtures expanded to take in more Edinburgh and Glasgow sides. Aberdeen was a favourite venue for away games and Panmure celebrated a run of twenty six games against them without defeat. At that time the Aberdeen Evening Express ran a banner heading across its rugby pages “Panmure – Cocks of the North”. In 1955 the Midlands Sevens Cup was won and the following year the North of Scotland Sevens Cup.
In the early 1960’s Panmure moved across the Arbroath Road and rented a field using old Nissen huts as changing rooms and tea rooms.
In 1967 Panmure moved back to Forthill with the formation of Forthill Sports Club, and with loan from the S.R.U. went towards building the Clubhouse which was opened in 1971. The opening game saw Panmure narrowly beat Edinburgh Academicals. The 1970’s was a good period for Panmure with links being forged in the Welsh Valleys.
The Club celebrated it’s Centenary in 1980 with a ‘Centenary Dinner’ in the Angus Hotel
on Friday 19th September, 1980. The President of the day was Mr. I.B. Fisken and
Panmure’s Captain was M.R.F. Clark. The Centenary Tour took in Trinant in Wales,
Carrickfergus from Ireland and three Clubs in Yorkshire.
Since the Centenary P.R.F.C. has continued to draw players from throughout Dundee and Angus and continues its strong links with the farming community. The quality of the rugby played suffered as the numbers playing sport in general fell but Panmure has successfully maintained its playing numbers and boasts a strong off-field club.
The team dropped out of the national leagues in 1999 and played in the Midlands League’s for six years before returning to the national leagues in 2005.
Panmure won National Division 5 Caledonia in season 2005 / 2006 after an impressive season both home and away with 15 wins and only 3 losses. The team clinched the title in the last game, away from home under the shadow of Ben Nevis.