Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Peckham Town Football Club app


PECKHAM TOWN FC 1st TEAM - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Peckham Town Football Club
Margate Sports
Sat 22 Sep 15:00 - Cup Full time

Menace win in Kent Shield

Peckham Town advance to 2nd round of the Kent Intermediate Challenge Shield with victory over Margate Sports

The Menace advanced to the next round of the Kent Intermediate Challenge Shield after a confident performance against a spirited Margate Sports that belied their position in the league. A 3-1 home win was sufficient to see Peckham Town in the hat for the next round.

It was a difficult start for the visitors, as S Ahmrtaj went down with a twisted knee after only 3 minutes, which meant Margate Sports needed to make an early substitution with Algar coming on. The first chance of the game fell to the home side, when a free kick from 25 yards was fired over by Amisu.

The Menace continued to pile on the pressure in the opening exchanges, but the visitors were well organised and held firm. On the 17th minute, Town broke free down the right and Daramola fired a right-footed shot with outside of his boot just wide of the post.

Margate Sports (Kent Shield, 22 Sept 18)
8 photos

The young referee, May Sollis, had a difficult decision to make on the 20th minute as Miller beat the off-side trap from the high Margate back line. He advanced on goal, but was brought down by Wilson in the middle of Margate’s defence. Was he the last man? The referee thought not, and gave the visitors the benefit of the doubt and flashed a yellow card. The resulting free kick from Amisu was well tipped over by Miller in goal.

Play was held up on the 27th minute due to a accidental clash of heads between Wilson and Daramola. Fortunately, both players were able to continue after treatment. Peckham took the lead in the 33rd minute as Miller again beat the off-side trap, but this time he was able to round the advancing ‘keeper and coolly roll the ball into the empty net.

Margate were presented a chance to get back into the game on the 36th minute when a slight tug on the shirt by Dance down the left side led to a free kick on edge of the box, but Sports were not able to make the most of it.

Town really piled on the pressure in the final five minutes of the half. Bell was playing some well weighted balls out from the middle of the park to get Town’s wingers in behind Margate’s defence. Meta broke down the left and fired a shot just wide of the post in the 40th minute and shortly after Dance had a volley superbly tipped wide by Miller in goal. A shot was then blocked on the line following a corner from Dance, and another shot from Meta was punched clear by the ‘keeper.

Town suffered a blow on the stroke of half-time when Margate countered with pace down the right and a cross to the back post found Pullman unmarked, who calmly slotted the ball into Town’s net. The referee blew for half-time shortly after, and it was 1-1 at the break.

The start of the second half was fairly even and Sports were competing well in midfield. The game was lit up by an audacious overhead kick attempt by Pullman in the 55th minute for Margate Sports. This seemed to fire Peckham back into action, and Town took the lead on the 59th minute.

Meta found Amisu on the edge of the box, who made space for himself and curled an 18 yard right-foot shot into the net to notch his 8th goal in 8 games from midfield this season. The superb Miller got a hand to it, but it was not enough to prevent the goal. Amisu has been in excellent form this season, and unsurprisingly he picked up the player of the month award for August before kick-off.

Barry came on for Daramola after 60 minutes for Peckham, and shortly after Miller was clattered on the edge of the box, but the referee adjudged that a Sports defender got a touch on the ball. Margate Sports continued to present a threat on the break, and they could have equalised when a cross from Quain was narrowly missed by Pullman.

Okorosobo came on after 75 minutes for Town’s first goal scorer Miller. Peckham went with two up front for the last 15 minutes in an attempt to convert possession into further goals, but Margate continued to hold firm and pressed hard in midfield. Sports off-side trap was still working well, as an Okorosobo goal was ruled out for off-side as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

Peckham made their final substitution on the 87th minute when Davies replaced Meta. Town finally secured their passage to the next round when Barry finally beat the off-side trap in injury time and advanced on Miller in goal. He demonstrated the poise required and delicately chipped it over the Sports’ stopper to give Peckham a 3-1 home win. The final whistle was blown shortly after to secure victory for the Menace, and passage to the next round of the Kent Intermediate Challenge Shield.

Peckham Town (4-4-1-1): Larry McArdle; Adam Tarrant, Hiram Laud Anderson, Samuel Strong, Ayo Harty Clarke; Kevin Dance, Alfie Bell, Ali Amisu (C), Nicky Meta (off ’88); Howard Miller (off ’75); Michael Daramola (off ’60). Subs: Yaya Barry (on ’60), Timothy Okorosobo (on ’75), Gareth Davies (on ’88), Jace Joe Captan (unused), Yousef Bouimame (unused)

Margate Sports: Miller, Wilson, Bennett, Howson, Ahmetaj .B, Ahmrtaj. S (off ‘8), Wisker, Quain, Lewis, Neeves, Pullman. Sub: Algar (on ‘8)

Peckham Town: Howard Miller - ’33, Ali Amisu - ’59, ‘90+2 Yaya Barry
Margate Sports: Pullman – ‘45+2

May Sollis

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Videos and photos

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors