Sponsor of Shirt No. 15
The award winning Falcon Inn nestles within the heart of the village of Fotheringhay.
Fotheringhay is famous as the birth place of Richard III and the place where Mary Queen of Scots ended her days after being held prisoner in Fotheringhay castle for 12 years.
The Falcon Inn was named after the House of York, ( Richard lll) whose heraldic shield depicts a Falcon. Richard III was the last king of the House of York and the last of the Plantagenet dynasty.
Fotheringhay Castle, a Norman motte castle was first built on the north side of the River Nene by Simon de Senlis, Earl of Northampton around 1100.
The large motte, which was topped with a polygonal stone shell keep, was surrounded by large water-filled moat. The inner bailey was protected by ramparts and a ditch. This enclosed a great hall and domestic buildings. The larger outer bailey was guarded by a gatehouse and a lake which was crossed by a bridge.
William Marshal, 1st Earl of Pembroke held the castle in the early 13th century. It was later passed to Ranulf, Earl of Chester. In 1232 John of Scotland, Earl of Huntingdon became Earl of Chester through Ranulph, his maternal uncle. After John died five years later, Henry III of England acquired Fotheringhay and Chester Castle from Ranulph’s sisters through purchase. The king gave both castles to his son Prince Edward.