Rugby Union has been played in Pontefract since the late 19th century; indeed there is a photograph in the clubhouse showing their Yorkshire Cup team for the 1890 - 91 tournament.
The Old Pomfretians, as they were then known, re-formed after the Second World War and moved to Moor Lane. The present clubhouse was formally opened by Doug Harrison, President of the RFU, in 1967. At the same time, the club's name was changed to Pontefract. Floodlights and a stand were added in the 1980s and in 2000 new changing rooms were built.
Pontefract have won the Yorkshire Shield twice in 1951 and 1984.
Pontefract were promoted from Yorkshire One at the end of the 2007 season into North Two East (Level 6). This later became North One East.
Pontefract started the leagues in North East 2, gained promotion to Courage League North East One, were relegated to North East Two in 1988/89 and joined Yorkshire One in 2000/01 at the inception of the regional league system. Their most successful season prior to 2006/07 2003/04 when they reached the 4th Round of the Intermediate Cup, the 2nd Round of the Yorkshire Cup and lost in the Play-off Final to Alnwick for a place in North 2 East.