The Port Adelaide Rugby Club was formed in 1933 to play in the South Australian Rugby Union competition.
A report in The Advertiser, dated 10 July 1933 reported on the clubs first match;
"A newly formed Rugby club, Port Adelaide, played its first match against the Navy at Pennington. The result of the match, although in favour of the more experienced club, speaks very highly for the possibilities of the newcomers to the game. Messrs. Case and Oopeman formerly of the Adelaide club, have raised the club and coached the team. Navy won by 19 to 9.
Corston, who played a fine game for the Navy, did not play on after half-time, and, as a result the teams were more level, Port Adelaide, in fact, scoring 6 points to its opponents none. Best players - Navy Corston, Simpson, Morgan, Kelsey; Port, Price, Harding, Copeland, Menz."
Since it's inception, the club has won the 1st Division premierships in 1946, our first official premiership and 2002 and constantly competes in the final playoff series.
Our first premiership was declared as "unofficial" in 1944, when during World War 2 there were no official competitions were conducted.
The club is located on the fringe of the Port Adelaide shopping precinct on the Le Fevre peninsular and 12 kilometres from the city. It is closely situated next to the new Harbourside Quay development and is easily accessible via train and bus.
Port Pirates are the only club affiliated with all navy ships and we regularly play friendly matches against visiting Australian and Foreign ships.
At Port Adelaide Rugby Club, we are proud of our on field competitiveness and our off field friendly family atmosphere.
This is also the home of POPS our Golden Oldies (Over 35+) team which participates in the Air New Zealand Golden Oldies tournaments.