A Landmark History of Pudsey St. Lawrence Cricket Club
1845 The Club was founded by St. Lawrence Parish Church, to "improve' and organise leisure activities of young men in the Parish
1863-4 An All England Eleven defeated 22 Pudsey cricketers by seven runs. In the return match, the following year, Pudsey won by 105 runs - the All England team complained about the state of the pitch and didn't return!
1875 "The Lawrence' lost to Pudsey Britannia by seven wickets in a "purse' match, watched by 3000 spectators. As well as their pride it cost them £100, but it began the tradition of local derby matches of "top enders' against the "bottom enders', now Pudsey Congs
1870's The Club moved to Pudsey Park, having previously played on fields behind the Black Bull, the Fleece and what is now the Market Place. Their club house was the then New Inn, now the Park Hotel
1889 St Lawrence move to their present ground, Tofts Road. The ground was leased to them by William Dibb Scales, from his Grove House Estate. The "Chapeltown End' was raised to the height of the present square with tons of soil excavated from Greenside railway tunnel and a new pavilion was built. At the opening in May, William Dibb Scales said he was "anxious that nothing of a degrading or immoral character should be seen there'!
1911 Herbert Sutcliffe plays for Pudsey St. Lawrence 1st XL at 14.
1912 Pudsey St. Lawrence join the Bradford League
1930 -1941 Leonard Hutton joins Pudsey St. Lawrence. He becomes a regular in 1931, scoring his first century in 1933. In 1938 he makes the record Test score of 364 at the Oval, celebrated locally by ringing the bells of St. Lawrence Church. 1943-45 Priestley Cup winners for first time in 1943 and Len Hutton returns after the war. In 1945, Raymond Illingworth plays for the Juniors at 14, before leaving to join Farsley.
1956 League Champions for the first time. Leonard Hutton is knighted for his outstanding services to cricket
1975-1991 The most successful period in the Club's history at all levels. The first Eleven win six League Championship titles, four Yorkshire Champions Titles, the Priestley Cup, and the National Indoor Cricket League. In 1984, the 1st, 2nd, Under-17's, Under 15's and under 12's all won their respective leagues.
1989 marks a century of cricket at Tofts Road. The Sir Leonard Hutton Memorial Gates are opened in September 1991.
1992-2005 In 1995, the 150 years celebrations of Pudsey St. Lawrence are crowned by the outstanding achievement of the under 15's in winning the National Club's Cup Competition.
2005 - 2010 St Lawrence begin clubhouse and ground renovation and refurbishment programme, 1st XL win inaugeral Bradford LGE 20 X 20 cup in 2009 and retain in 2010.