Under 9's win Chippenham Tournament

7 years ago By Terry Cawkwell

Team effort shines through!!!

After an early start the Reds faced an opening 9:00 match against Castle Combe Colts B. Plenty of chances came- but went, with a few sleepy heads out there. Things warmed up, so did the passing, and a well worked move saw Rhys Goodman pass it in the net. Later a cross saw the goalie under pressure from Ashley Babbage, and the ball was put in by the defender, for a 2-0 win.

Next, against a tougher Lambourne FC team, a few chances weren’t taken, but the 1-0 win came from a thunderbolt, 15 yards 0ut, from Liam Waldron’s left foot into the top corner passed a tall goalie.

Liam was still in the mood for goals, scoring a 4 minute first half hat-trick against Chippenham Youth B - some good finishing and passing the reason. The best goal saw a great double save from Joe Owen ( a spectator most of the games ) which was knocked down the line to Ashley who crossed quickly for Liam to find the corner. Second half saw a quieter affair, with job done and the first goal to hit out net off a big toe-end. 3-1 seemed fair enough – well on track to win the group.
The group was won with a 1-0 win against Worton and Cheverell, with a corner falling to in-form Liam who looped it back into the net. Job done!

Quarter final was against Team Bath Arsenal Blue – a stronger local team. In an end to end game the Reds saw the ball cleared off the line from a corner, and a couple of great chances just go wide. Even after extra time, nothing could separate things. Penalties resulted. Joe Yates, Rhys, Adam Taylor took and converted the first three – so did they. Then they had their first sudden death penalty saved by Joe Owen, but hot-shot Liam drove our penalty straight into the goalie’s legs. They scored and Adam Hopkins responded with a goal. Next saw a good strong hand from Joe to keep their penalty out, and a keen Nick Goodman strode up and dispatched it with force into the net. Hard way to win or lose, but we were glad a shoot-out finally went our way.

The semi’s against Henbury Colts wasn’t as good a game, with us never really being troubled, but finding it hard to break down their defence. A change at half time saw Joe Yates on, and it was him who knocked in the winner with a low, hard shot across the goalie from out of the box.

Castle Combe Colts faced us in the final, and with the passing / moving not quite firing as normal, we made things hard. We did have most of the play and Joe never touched it in goal. Chances did come but never really hit the mark – a great run from Joe Y saw him slip it across to Ashley infront of goal, but his blast was blocked by a diving body. So with 30 seconds left and extra time looming, A final attack with Rhys resulted in a good little ball across that was missed by Joe Y, but ended up at Ashley’s feet – causing a quick prayer from the touchline. Knocking it out of his feet, and on to his left foot, he drove it hard into the far corner to start the sideline celebrations. The restart came and 30 seconds went – the boys went mad!

A good tournament, an early trip – now well worth it, and a great result! Well done to all the boys, and thanks to all the parents. Special mention, we feel needed, to the back 3 of Adam Taylor, Nick Goodman and Adam Hopkins who were outstandingly strong at the back, and although they don’t get the goals were one of the reasons for the success!

Where next?

Cam 0 QWFC U9 reds 6 QWFC - not at their ruthless best, but too much too handle for a determined Cam team.


Loading comments
Sun 4 Sep
U15 (Whites) FC Oakwood
League 1 – 4
Sun 19 Apr
U15 (Whites) Hardwicke Blues
League 1 – 1
Wed 15 Apr
U15 (Whites) Stonehouse
League 0 – 9

Team sponsor


Club sponsors