Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official RADFORD FC (1964) app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Clifton All Whites
Sat 27 Oct 15:00 - East Midlands Counties League - Premier League Full time Attendance 48

Radford make it 6 wins on the bounce v Clifton

Hard work pays off

Radford FC vs Clifton All-Whites 27/10/18 – East Midlands Counties League

By Michael Callander

Radford faced up against 10th-placed Clifton All-Whites on a blustery afternoon at the CDW Arena, and secured all three points to continue their rich vein of form to six consecutive wins. Ahead of the game, the home side knew they could drop as far as ninth with a defeat, a result which could have promoted Clifton to 7th with favourable results elsewhere.

Both sides boasted phenomenal records in front of goal at the start of the day, Clifton netting 29 in their last five games to Radford’s 19. The goalkeepers could also count on solid defences in front of them, having only allowed four and six goals respectively over the same period.

Radford kicked off in driving rain, and they got the first chance immediately as a shot from distance skidded across the turf but Jake Want parried it away well for a corner, which he then claimed confidently.

Radford continued to put early pressure on the visitors as Conor Moore drove down the wing and crossed to force another save from the Clifton keeper. The resulting corner was initially cleared, then Want brilliantly palmed a header over the bar from point-blank range after the ball was floated back into the box.

Clifton gradually grew into the game and Hadlee Dunn was called into action for Radford in the tenth minute; Ryan Smith was ruled offside from the counter-attack which followed.

The visitors’ promising spell was cut short as the ball fell kindly to RYAN SMITH two minutes later and he poked past Want who had flown out attempting to claim it at the edge of the box. 1-0 Radford.

The home defence gave a very good account of themselves throughout the game but particularly in the first fifteen minutes, where captain Wes Spencer and Simon Hore were imperious in the air and intercepted almost every threat that came their way.

Ryan Smith was all-action in the first twenty minutes and rushed late into a tackle in the 20th minute, but it went unpunished to the disbelief of the visiting supporters.

This was a physical match, awash with robust challenges; Jan Yeomans jumped into a rash tackle on Sam Leggitt on the left wing shortly afterwards, necessitating a once-over from the Clifton physio.

Radford had an opportunity to double their advantage 25 minutes in as Smith was pulled down while driving towards the box. Conor Moore drilled the free kick, but it was brushed wide for a corner by a wayward leg in the area. The corner delivery found Smith at the back post but he shanked the cross over the bar from an acute angle 12 yards out.

The game went through a rare barren spell in terms of goalmouth action until the 34th minute when Ravarn Jackson went down under pressure on the right side of the area. The free kick hit the first man in the area and was hacked away.

Clear-cut chances were few and far between for Clifton until James Price found himself unmarked from a corner just before half-time. However, it came to nothing as he dragged his left-foot shot some way wide of the right post.

Jackson put himself about impressively in the first half and made a lung-busting run the length of the Clifton half to press the opposing goalkeeper into booting his clearance upfield. Spencer and Hore then added it to their list of aerial attempts that were unable to penetrate the Radford defence in the first forty-five minutes.

The start of the second half was punctuated by niggly fouls, offside calls and long balls being redirected wide of target in the wind. On-form winger Jackson almost created something 51 minutes in, but was blocked by an impeccably-timed sliding challenge just as he entered the Clifton penalty area, shooting towards the tunnel.

The visitors grew back into the game again as captain Mitch Williams skimmed a header wide from a corner. The equaliser came just two minutes later, as a direct ball over the top from the defence found former Radford player JAHRED RUSSELL who outpaced Spencer, finishing past Dunn in the home goal. 1-1.

Parity was brief though, as the ball bounced around just inside the Clifton box after kick-off. Ravarn Jackson lost possession to a defender who took a poor touch which Ryan Smith ran onto, before being cleaned out by the onrushing Jake Want.

SIMON HORE confidently fired the spot-kick into the left side of the Clifton net. Jake Want guessed the right way but was unable to get a hand on the ball in time, then picking it out of his own net for the second time in the game. 2-1.

Jackson was brought off in the 67th minute for Connor Hardy, who immediately got stuck in on the right hand side. He brought power and direct running to a Radford side that was passing fairly well but had struggled to find the final killer ball into the box for a few minutes.

Clifton All-Whites looked like creating another chance shortly afterwards but Spencer put in a well-timed challenge on the halfway line; Tom Black intercepted the second ball and laid it back to the keeper to relieve the pressure.

Just before the final ten minutes of the game, some good passing for Radford led to a Moore cross, but it was easily claimed by Want in the All-Whites goal as he rose unchallenged.

Clifton scorer Russell took an in-swinging corner in the 84th minute which directly forced Dunn to tip the ball over the bar for another corner. This delivery was cleared away; the counter-attack that followed led to a well-worked third goal for the Pheasants as Tom Black played the ball into the path of substitute CONNOR HARDY who found the net against his former club, 3-1 Radford.

Shortly after the two teams regrouped at the centre circle, Tom Black was given an individual reception for his stellar performance as he was replaced by Jack Smith to solidify the midfield in the final few minutes. The home side still looked for a fourth and penalty shouts were waved away by Dave Constable who gave a Radford corner instead, which came to nothing and was again cleared away in a no-nonsense fashion.

With only a couple of minutes remaining, Radford’s first scorer of the afternoon, Ryan Smith, was substituted off for Eugene Francis who immediately set about pressing the Clifton back line. Radford kept play out of their own half for the final moments; the referee’s whistle capped a performance in which the defence played as big a part as the goalscorers. The Pheasants remained fourth for the time being due to every side in the top five claiming three points; Clifton slipped down slightly to 12th but showed signs that they could and should perform better in the near future.

FT Radford 3 – 1 Clifton All-Whites

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier League results

Eastwood Community
Ashby Ivanhoe
Newark Flowserve
Rainworth Miners Welfare
Kimberley Miners Welfare


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Selston 24 63
2. Newark Flowserve 24 60
3. Radford 25 52
4. Sherwood Colliery 23 52
5. Barrow Town 24 47
6. Eastwood Community 25 46
7. Ingles 23 42

Team sponsors


Club sponsors