Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Sutton Town AFC
Rainworth MWFC
Wed 10 Apr 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 117

The lights went out on Rainworth’s Cup dreams.

Rainworth were dealt a blow just before kick-off when Alessandro Barcherini failed a late fitness test. With Adam Somes cup tied it meant club captain Mark Camm donned the gloves, not ideal in a game of such importance.

Sutton’s starting line-up boasted seven former Wrens with two more on the bench so it didn’t really need the fact there was a place in the Notts Senior Cup Final to add any more spice to the game. Rainworth soon got into their rhythm and in the 6th minute Ryan Goward’s free-kick struck the angle of the goal with the keeper just an onlooker. A couple of minutes later Kieran Watson had the ball in the net, but it was ruled out for offside. Rainworth continued to dominate and all that was lacking was the finish. In fact such was their territorial dominance that it wasn’t until the 15th minute that Mark Camm actually touched the ball.

In the 17th minute a good break by Jared Holmes almost led to a goal, as he fed Ian Holmes but his shot was hit well over the bar. It wasn’t until the 20th minute that Sutton had a shot on goal as Craig Mitchell’s speculative 35 yard shot was easily gathered by Mark Camm. Then in the 26th minute Camm went down well to his right to save well from what was to prove the only shot of any note from Sutton in the half. Rainworth continued to threaten the Sutton goal and in the 29th minute Jared Holmes and Walker combined, only for the latter’s shot to be deflected for a corner. In the space of two minutes Ian Holmes spurned two chances as the Sutton defence was stretched.
The half-time whistle brought the first half with for the most part Rainworth dominant and on the front foot. However Rainworth’s failure to score had kept Sutton in the game and this was to prove decisive as the game unfolded.

The second half started with Sutton on the attack and in quick succession former Wrens Chris Hewitt and Mitchell had shots on the Rainworth goal. Then in the 55th minute the decisive moment of the half when a cross from the right was only partially blocked and Chris Hewitt gave Camm no chance, to open the scoring. In the 64th minute Rainworth thought they had equalised when Ian Holmes’s shot was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Gavin Saxby.

Rainworth replaced Jermaine Hollis with Danny Bacon, but it was Sutton who were now on the front foot but Webster shot over the bar. The game was all but over when Kieran Walker deflected Chris Hewitt’s shot , wrong footing Camm into the net. Rainworth spurned a couple of chances and there seemed no way back. Then in the 86th minute the lights failed but after a nervy 8 minutes the power was restored and Sutton ran out winners 2-0.

Rainworth can have no complaints they had their chances in the first half, but couldn’t convert any. In contrast Sutton managed to convert two of theirs. It would have been a travesty if the floodlight failure had resulted in a replay as Sutton fully deserved their victory. No Notts Senior Cup for Rainworth this year, but I would like to take this opportunity to wish Sutton and especially all the former Wrens, good luck in the final.

SUTTON TOWN: Saxby; Sweeny; Hollingworth; Milne (Giles 72); M. Hewitt; Rhodes; Gilliatt; Whitehead; Mitchell; Webster; C. Hewitt Subs: Batty; James; Charlesworth; Lynam;

RAINWORTH MWFC: Camm; Hanson; Goward; Hollis (Bacon 67); Walker; Magee; Lloyd; Kitchen; I. Holmes; J. Holmes; Watson (Jenkins 82). Subs; Claxton

Man of match: Ryan Goward.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors