Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Rainworth MWFC
Bottesford Town
J Claxton (90')
Full time
Tue 18 Aug 19:45 - Cup Attendance 62

Rainworth Battered by Bottesford

Rainworth’s involvement in the FA Cup ended on Tuesday evening when they were forced to play without their first choice strike force.

After Saturday’s draw, Rainworth knew that pace up front would give them their best opportunity to progress against a very good Bottesford side. Sadly that was never an option with their first choice strike force either unavailable or in Lewis Bingham’s case still carrying an injury after Saturday’s game.

Rainworth’s management team gambled with the line-up in the hope of compensating for the loss and for the first thirty minutes they were in the game, but once Bottesford scored there was only going to be one winner.

It was Rainworth who had the better of the opening minutes when Lewis Chambers firstly had his goal-bound volley deflected for a corner and then went even closer when his effort was saved by Leigh Herrick.

In the 8th minute Nathan Burrows was in action at the other end as he saved at full stretch Steve Ridley’s free-kick.

A minute later they were then given a warning of what was to come when the race for Herrick’s long goal kick was won by Scott Hellewell, but on this occasion he put his effort well wide.

It was Rainworth however who came closest to scoring in the 28th minute when Jack Andrews long range effort had Herrick beaten, only to hit the angle and deflect to safety.

Bottesford however had the edge and it came as no surprise that in the 30th minute they took the lead. It was both simple and decisive in its execution as Scott Wilby’s cross was met by unmarked Hellewell whose header found the corner of the net.

This was to be the start of a period of Bottesford dominance as Hellewell once again found himself in space from Danny Gibbons long ball, but his effort was well wide.

That was not case in the 39th minute when it was Gibbons again, on yet another overlap, this time his cross was side-footed home by Hellewell to virtually put the game out of Rainworth’s reach.

In the final minutes of the half Rainworth almost pulled one back as Matt Plant found Chambers, but just when it seemed he would score, Herrick somehow managed to get his hand to it and prevent the score.

Matt Plant had the final effort of the half but it was well wide and this time in the tie it was Bottesford who deservedly went into half-time with a 2-0 lead.

The opening minutes of the second half Rainworth continued to struggle and in the 60th they decided to gamble bringing on Lewis Bingham for Luke Weaver.

Still it was all Bottesford as Jack Cross’s effort is punched clear by Burrows.

A minute later and Rainworth almost got back into the game as Bingham’s pass finds Chambers but his effort is just wide of the post.

A double substitution on 72 minutes by Rainworth saw Max Curzon and Jordan Claxton replacing Ben Bowring and Jordan Harris.

Rainworth were lucky not to fall further behind in the 76th minute when Nathan Adam’s effort struck the post.

A couple of minutes later the game as a contest was over when Burrows conceded a penalty and Terry Barwick made no mistake.

The situation got even worse when in the 85th minute Gareth Campion deflected a cross into his own goal to make the score 4-0.

There was still time for two further scores in the final minutes, Bottesford increasing their lead when Scott Wilby’s trickery set up Adams and his shot found the far corner.

Rainworth at last managed to get on the score sheet in the final minute when Claxton’s deft flick went over Herrick and into the net.
At the final whistle Bottesford had deservedly progressed to the next round and on this showing they must fancy their chances against Dunkirk.

For Rainworth it was one of those nights, without their main strike force it was always going to be a tall order against a team of Bottesford’s ability. The management team’s gamble worked for 30 minutes and kept Rainworth in the game but the missing strike force was always going to be decisive.

RAINWORTH: Burrows; Hanson; L.Weaver (Bingham); Andrews; Harris (Claxton);Campion; Chambers; Dockwray; Plant; Bowring (Curzon); Williams. Subs (not used): Pereira; Proctor; Mitchell.

Referee: Allan Hull.

Man of the Match: Lewis Chambers

Attendance: 62

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Key moments

45:00 +45:00
Goal Jordan Claxton scores for Rainworth MWFC
Replay game

As it happened

  • Rainworth MWFC
  • Bottesford Town
  • 0
  • Jordan Claxton Goal 45:00 +45:00'
  • Lewis Bingham Sub On 60:00'
  • Luke Weaver Sub Off 60:00'
  • Max Curzon Sub On 72:00'
  • Jordan Claxton Sub On 72:00'
  • Ben Bowring Sub Off 72:00'
  • Jordan Harris Sub Off 72:00'
  • Lewis Chambers Yellow Card 88:00'

Video Advertising

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors