Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Rainworth MWFC
Ashby Ivanhoe
Sat 22 Dec 15:00 - League Full time Attendance 71

Scrooge Spoils Christmas

Scrooge in the form of Ashby Ivanhoe ruined Rainworth’s Christmas with a clinical display at The Tomlin Personnel Stadium today.

Rainworth entered today’s game on the back of a good run of form but although they huffed and puffed in truth, they rarely threatened to their opponents goal and even after Ashby had a penalty saved, they still had enough in reserve to score the only goal of the game.

It was Rainworth who threatened in the 3rd minute and Liam Richards made a good block from Aidy Harris but Max Curzon’s follow-up from the rebound found the side-netting.

Ashby’s first effort came in the 8th minute but Kerr Horn, who was a constant threat all game put his effort straight into Josh Downie’s arms. A minute later and Rainworth were lucky only to concede a corner after poor defending gifted Ashby a gilt-edged opportunity.

There were chances at both ends but both Sam Carline’s and Ethan Wiesztort’s efforts failed to trouble either keeper. Then in the 19th minute Horn’s electric pace saw him in on the advancing Downie but although his lob beat the keeper it was too high and went over. At this stage Ashby were having the better of the exchanges.

Rainworth did have a ten-minute spell when efforts from Joe Toon, Josh Henry and Liam Jepson threatened but none troubled the keeper.

Then on 30 minutes Ashby were given a golden chance to open the scoring when Scott Taylor was adjudged to have brought down Horn in the area and the referee awarded a penalty. Joel Earps stepped but his weak penalty was easily saved by Downie, much to Rainworth’s relief.
The relief was short-lived when in the 35th minute Horn’s cross bounced invitingly in the area and Mitch Woodbine fierce shot cannoned off the upright and into the net. Rainworth were forced into their first substitution having to bring Cameron Davidson on for injured captain Harris.

In the final minutes of the half Rainworth pushed for an equaliser but Davidson and Jonathan Drake’s efforts both failed to find the target and Ashby went in at the break leading 1-0.

The opening minutes of the second half almost saw Ashby double their lead but Horn had his effort blocked and Harry Stewarts effort rebounded off the upright. Horn followed up with an effort that Downie did well to keep out as the pressure grew, second’s later a further effort flashed across the face of the goal.

Rainworth at last got a foothold and Jepson’s effort went just wide, whilst a mazy run by Nick Fry saw his cross too near to Richards. Rainworth were forced int a second substitution in the 70th minute bringing on Callum Pursglove for the injured Fry.

Rainworth were still in the game but their finishing lacked any menace as Jepson and Pursglove put their efforts wide. A third injury saw Will Spray replace Henry with the minutes counting down. They almost created an opportunity when Richards could only parry Davidson’s effort, but it was cleared before a Rainworth player could pounce.

At the final whistle Ashby had deservedly taken the points with the only goal of the game and in Horn, they had a forward who carried a threat. Rainworth on the other hand lacked the killer touch when their chances came and can have no qualms about the result.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Downie; Henry (Spray); Toon; Drake; Taylor; Dawson; Wiesztort; Fry (Pursglove); Curzon; Harris (Davidson); Jepson.
Subs (not used): Hardwick; Doyle.

Referee: Harry Jones

Attendance: 71

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors