Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Rainworth MWFC
Gedling MW
Sat 15 Sep 15:00 - League Full time Attendance 72

Gedling Edge Tight Game

Rainworth’s miserable home form, having failed to register one point, continued today when they lost narrowly 2-1 to Gedling MW.

A game that had plenty of endeavour, if not quality, was decided when Rainworth’s Achilese heel came back to haunt them when a piece of inept defending allowed Courtney Hastings in for the winner.

The first effort on goal fell to Gedling’s Hastings in the fifth minute but it was easily gathered by Warren Squires. A quick counter-attack later and Luke Walker’s excellent cross was flicked in by Bryan Dakouri for the opening goal.

Four minutes later and when Rainworth failed to clear the ball they were punished by Jimmy Spiers fierce shot that gave Squires no chance for the equaliser.

Play was end-to-end, and Walker’s head back was hit just over by Scott Wesley and minutes later it was Walker again, but this time Dakouri’s effort from his cross wet wide.

In the 21st minute Rainworth were denied the lead when Jacob Webster’s goal-bound effort was tipped over by Danny Brown. Whilst at the other end Hastings’s effort was gathered at full stretch by Squires.

Walker was having an excellent game and his ball put through Anton Foster on goal, but Brown blocked his goal-bound effort. Two minutes later it was Brown again this time denying Walker with a goal-line save.

The game continued to ebb and flow and at half-time it had the feel of a match were the next goal would be the winner.

Rainworth started the second half the better and Liam Jepson’s dangerous cross was cleared at the expense of a corner. From the resultant corner Jepson found Wesley but his volley was just over.

Gedling almost took the lead in the 54th minute when comic-cut defending saw Squires saving with his legs. Walker once again put the Gedling defence under pressure and his through ball was pushed past the onrushing Brown by Dakouri, but the ball had run wide and his follow-up was cleared.

Rainworth brought on Blessing Adeleye for Jepson and then Antonio Wedderburn for Wesley. Hastings effort from distance was well over, whilst Dakouri did the same thing at the other end. Rainworth almost took the lead in the 77th minute but Wedderburns strike from the edge of the box was tipped round the post by Brown for a corner.

Just as it seemed neither side would score Rainworth’s non-existent tackling allowed the ball to find Hastings in the area and he made no mistake. Rainworth made their final substitution bringing on Tom Sharpe for Foster.

It was to prove terminal as at the final whistle, Rainworth were masters of their own downfall once again, as their miserable start to the season continued.

RAINWORTH: Squires; R. Labbate; Jackson; Foster (Sharpe); Barnes; Lowe; Wesley (Wedderburn); Webster; Dakouri; Walker; Jepson (Adeleye).
Subs (not used): N. Labbate; Sockett.

Referee: Mr Wayne Mason.

Man of match: Luke Walker

Attendance: 72

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors