Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Borrowash Victoria
Rainworth MWFC
Wed 21 Nov 19:45 - Cup Full time Attendance 54

Ten Man Rainworth Pushed All the Way

Rainworth’s League Cup tie at lowly Borrowash Victoria was anything but straightforward, two own goals saw the end-to end-tie decided in injury time by debutant Will Harcourt.

The injury time was mainly because of an injury sustained by Rainworth keeper Josh Hollis, that eventually forced him to leave the field leaving Rainworth with only ten men and midfielder Nick Fry between the sticks.

The Borrowash Victoria was not the side that had conceded for fun in the league and on this display, they will be a challenge to everyone.
The game kicked off at a break-neck pace and as early as the third minute Max Curzon’s pass almost found Aidy Harris but keeper Soal just won the race to the ball.

From the early exchanges it became obvious that this Borrowash had pace, understanding and a will to win, unlike the one that appeared recently in the league.

When Nick Fry found Joe Toon on the edge of the area, his shot on the volley was just too high to trouble Soal. At the other end Rainworth had a lucky escape when Vernon’s fierce shot came back off the crossbar with Hollis beaten.

There was no-time to catch one’s breath as Soal did well to parry Fry’s stinging effort and Harris was just unable to put the rebound home.
Rainworth continued to go forward and when Toon created a yard of space his inviting cross was cleared by a determined Borrowash defence. Fry was the next to have an effort, but his curling shot went just wide of the upright.

Both sides were guilty of giving the ball away and when an excellent cross came in from Vernon, Goodwin put his header wide.

Rainworth’s Curzon continued to be a threat, but he was guilty of wasting a golden opportunity when he hit the side-netting with only the keeper to beat. At the other end the dangerous Matkin curled his effort just wide.

The final move of the match summed up the half, plenty of endeavour from both sides but no cutting edge as Toon’s excellent cross was plucked out of the air with aplomb by Soal, as the referee brought the half to an end.

Rainworth brought on Liam Jepson for Connor Wright at the beginning of the second-half as the game continued at the same break-neck pace.

Rainworth came close to the opener but two excellent effort were blocked, and Jepson’s follow-up was deflected for a corner. A minute later and Rainworth’s went even closer when Callum Pursglove’s through ball saw Curzon hit the side-netting with only the keeper to beat.
It wasn’t all Rainworth and Hollis did well to tip Matkin’s driven effort over the bar.

Then a moment of controversy in the 62nd minute when a hopeful cross appeared destined for the arms of Hollis, but he appeared to have been taken out and the ball struck Toon and went over the line. Hollis needed extensive treatment, but testament to his toughness, he continued although it was obvious, he was in a lot of pain.

Rainworth made their second substitution in the 65th minute with Jono Drake coming on for Cameron Davidson and four minutes later Shomari Doyle replaced the injured Toon. Worse was to follow as Hollis had to leave the field after receiving yet more treatment being replaced in goal by Fry, leaving Rainworth with only ten men.

Rainworth threw everything into their search for an equaliser and they were rewarded when Jepson’s shot rebounded off the post in the 78th minute struck young and went in.

What followed was prove if needed that Rainworth MWFC had a spine when despite being down to ten men, they took the game to Borrowash. In injury time it appeared to be shots in with the Borrowash keeper Soal all that stood between them and the second goal.

Curzon’s effort struck him and then he saved Harris’s follow up with his legs, this was quickly followed with an excellent save from Jepson. Just when it looked as if the game would go to penalties Harcourt hit a loose ball into the net giving Soal no chance.

Rainworth still had stoppage time to negotiate but they did so without alarm and just about deserved their victory. The one downside was the injury to Hollis who was taken to A&E after the match to have his injury assessed.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Hollis; Henry; Toon (Doyle); Wright (Jepson); Harcourt; Taylor; Davidson (Drake); Fry; Curzon; Harris; Pursglove.
Subs (not used); Copestake; Fowler.

Referee: Tom Burt

Man of the match: Max Curzon

Attendance: 54

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors