Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

Rainworth Miners Welfare
Loughborough Dynamo
Sat 13 Sep 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - First Division South Full time Attendance 95

Dick Turpin puts in an appearance at Kirklington Road!!

High flying Loughborough Dynamo were the visitors in today’s Evo-Stik Division One game and a re-vamped Rainworth were up for the challenge.

The game kicked off and it was Rainworth who had the ball in the net after only two minutes, but it was correctly disallowed for a foul.

Then in the 5th minute Bradley Munn theoretically collapsed under a challenge from Theo Brown, the referee however wasn’t impressed and probably should have asked to see his equity card.

However there was no doubting his involvement in the goal in the 12th minute as his cross was half blocked and fell to Nathan Watson who made space and made his finish look easy.

In the 17th minute it was Watson providing Robert Norris with a chance, but his effort was well over the bar. Loughborough had the look of a team on top of their game and it was easy to see why they are in one of the top positions in the league.

The 28th minute saw yet another free flowing Loughborough move and Steve Towers was just unable to turn the ball back to provide a tap in.

Rainworth were having to dig deep to keep in the game, but to their credit they managed to stifle a lot of the Loughborough attacks, which for a neutral were a joy to watch.

Rainworth did have a moment that troubled Loughborough when Daniel Williams hit a fierce cross, which the defence were relieved to clear before a Rainworth boot arrived.

In the final minutes of the half Watson’s free kick was headed well over and from a corner Alvin Jarvis’s effort was well blocked.

The half ended with Loughborough on the front foot, but sterling work from Rainworth had meant they only lead by a single goal.

The second half kicked off and it was Rainworth who almost created an opportunity but Steve Owens touch was just a little too strong.
They went even nearer in the 47th minute when Alex Ford’s cross was sent back across goal by Owens but Alton Rennalls shot was blocked.

In the next attack Munn broke clear but Brown was able to beat him to the ball and diffuse the situation.

Rainworth were now having the better of the exchanges and in the 51st minute Grant Ryan was pulled back by Jarvis on the edge of the area, a foul was given but the referee chose just to issue a verbal warning to him.

From the resultant free kick Williams hit an absolute bullet into the top corner giving James Lindley no chance, to deservedly equalise.
A neat move by Craig Mitchell and Owen ended with Mitchell’s effort being easily blocked.

Loughborough then attacked down the left and Ellis Storey’s cross only needed a touch, but no one was able to provide it.

Rainworth brought on Tristram Whitman for Owens as they pushed for the winning goal. Rennalls had the next chance but he was only able to hit it well wide.

In the 67th minute tempers flared as Ryan was run on goal was stopped by a two-footed challenge and the Loughborough player found himself in the book. The linesman also spotted Jarvis’s involvement off the ball and he too was shown a yellow card.

From the resultant free kick Williams hit an absolute screamer but it just cleared the bar with Lindley only able to watch.

The 71st minute provided the first piece of controversy, in a game that had so much to admire, when Ford got behind the Loughborough defence and as he steadied himself with only Lindley to beat, Jarvis clattered into him for what appeared a stonewall penalty and a sending off. Inexplicably the referee gave neither and the majority of the crowd stood in disbelief.

It was Rainworth again in the 79th minute when a long ball found Ford and his goal bound shot was deflected for a corner.

The next piece of controversy came in the 84th minute when from a corner the ball deflected into Joe Pheasant’s path and his shot hit the underside of the bar and appeared to have been cleared. The referee gave nothing but the linesman who wasn’t up with play signalled a goal and the referee awarded the goal.

The only people who could actually say whether it went over the line would be those in the goal mouth and the verdict depended on which colour shirt you wore. I was told by an impartial observer after the match that the ball didn’t cross the line, unfortunately the result will say otherwise.

In the final minutes Rainworth went all out to get the equaliser and although they went close they were unable to achieve it and Loughborough gained a narrow victory.

There is no denying the class of Loughborough and why they sit at the top of the league tonight, however many fans left feeling cheated which was sad in a game that was a perfect advert for Evo-Stik football.

I predict that Loughborough will be in the mix come the end of the season, but Rainworth showed enough today to dispel relegation worries as the season progresses.

Rainworth: Roberts; McGowan; Brown; Freeman; Hannigan; Rennalls; Williams; Mitchell; Ford; Ryan; Owens (Whitman) Subs (not used): Andrews; Gregory; Jones; Hewitt.

Referee: Mr. Nigel Smith.

Man of match: Dean Freeman

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division South results

Stocksbridge Park Steels
Gresley FC


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Goole AFC 42 46
17. Stocksbridge Park Steels 42 41
18. Carlton Town 42 39
19. Market Drayton Town 42 37
20. Kidsgrove Athletic 42 36
21. Rainworth Miners Welfare 42 30
22. Brigg Town 42 12

Team sponsors


Club sponsors