Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

Rainworth Miners Welfare
Armthorpe Welfare
L Morris (1', 31', 45'), D Brewin (11'), L Theakstone (77'), M Sykes (86' Pen)
Full time
Tue 20 Oct 19:45 - Toolstation Northern Counties East League - Premier Division Attendance 71

October Goalfest!

Rainworth MWFC looked to improve their poor home record against an Armthorpe Welfare team that sat second bottom.

Rainworth in the past have had a nasty habit of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, tonight however was not one of those nights.

They took the lead after 11 seconds, when from the kick-off the ball found Declan Brewin who raced into the Armthorpe penalty area, when his run was checked it fell at the feet of Liam Morris who made no mistake.

It was all Rainworth who were in no mood to allow Armthorpe time to regroup and it came as no surprise when in the 11th minute they doubled their lead. The ball once again found Brewin but this time he got his shot away and although it took the slightest of deflections it ended up in the net.

This was the signal for a Rainworth onslaught and in quick succession Jamie Yorke, Jack Andrews and Sam Dockwray had efforts that flashed by the upright.

They almost got their third when Brewin’s cross to Matt Sykes was diverted for a corner by an outstretched boot.

Then in the 25th minute Morris ran at the defence but his shot just went the wrong side of the upright with the keeper well beaten.

Armthorpe at last threatened the Rainworth goal and only an excellent one-handed save by Sam Leigh prevented James Walker from opening their account. This however was to be their only effort in a half completely dominated by Rainworth playing football at a different level.

The only thing missing in Rainworth’s display was their finishing and when Connor Smythe broke and crossed, Gareth Campion’s effort was high and wide.

That was until the 31st minute when Brewin’s inch perfect pass saw Morris turn and put it into the far corner of the net.

Rainworth continued to run riot and Smythe was nearly on the scoresheet after another penetrating run saw his shot flash across the goalmouth and out for a goal-kick.

The pressure was relentless and when Smythe found Sykes it took an excellent save from Leigh Overton to prevent Rainworth getting their fourth. From the resulting corner only a goal-line clearance Tom Dorgan prevented Sykes scoring.

Armthorpe eventually succumbed in the final minute of the half when a long ball found Morris and he finished in style for his hat-trick.

The referee’s whistle brought the half to an end and the only surprise was that Rainworth led by only four goals.

In the 48th minute Rainworth brought on Ben Bowring for Matt Plant who was suffering from an injury sustained just before half-time.

The 51st minute saw a rare Armthorpe attack when Tom McLaughlin’s cross was cleared by Bowring at the expense of a corner.

Rainworth made a second substitution when Liam Theakstone came on for Morris.

Then in quick succession Rainworth almost increased their lead, Richard Smith clearing a dangerous cross and Andrews’s cross evaded everyone and flew inches past the far upright.

Armthorpe did manage to threaten when Mclaughlin put his effort wide and then James Handley’s effort was deflected for a corner.

Rainworth made their final substitution bringing on Lewis Bingham for Brewin.

Any thoughts Armthorpe had that Rainworth were playing out time were dashed when in the 77th minute Sykes found Theakstone, who skipped around a couple of tackles firing his shot into the bottom corner.

The sixth almost came a couple of minutes later but Smythe’s effort flashed just past the post.

Armthorpe almost got onto the scoresheet in the 84th minute but Handley’s effort was well saved by Leigh.

Smythe who had been a constant threat down the left all night once again broke into the penalty area and this time he was only stopped at the expense of a penalty.

Sykes stepped up and gave Overton no chance to complete the scoring on a night, when after the opening goal, the result had never been in doubt.

It had been a complete team performance and a master class in passing football.

RAINWORTH MWFC: Leigh; Hanson; Smythe; Andrew; Plant (Bowring); Campion; Brewin (Bingham); Dockwray; Morris (Theakstone); Yorke; Sykes. Sub (not used): Pereira

Referee: Nicholas Hopton.

Man of match: Declan Brewin.

Attendance: 71.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Declan Brewin

Player of the Match

Declan Brewin

Key moments

Goal Liam Morris scores for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Goal Declan Brewin scores for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Goal Liam Morris scores for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Goal Liam Morris scores for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Goal Liam Theakstone scores for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Scored Penalty Matthew Sykes scores a penalty for Rainworth Miners Welfare
Replay game

As it happened

  • Rainworth Miners Welfare
  • Armthorpe Welfare
  • 0
  • Liam Morris Goal 1:00'
  • Declan Brewin Assist 1:00'
  • Declan Brewin Goal 11:00'
  • Liam Morris Goal 31:00'
  • Declan Brewin Assist 31:00'
  • Liam Morris Goal 45:00'
  • Ben Bowring Sub On 48:00'
  • Matt Plant Sub Off 48:00'
  • Liam Theakstone Sub On 59:00'
  • Liam Morris Sub Off 59:00'
  • Lewis Bingham Sub On 75:00'
  • Declan Brewin Sub Off 75:00'
  • Liam Theakstone Goal 77:00'
  • Declan Brewin Sub Off 77:00'
  • Matthew Sykes Scored Penalty 86:00'

Video Advertising

Team selection

Only authorised club members can view team selection.

League round up

Other Premier Division results


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
7. Maltby Main 41 68
8. Staveley Miners Welfare 40 66
9. Rainworth Miners Welfare 42 63
10. Barton Town Old Boys 42 62
11. Albion Sports 42 59
12. Thackley FC 42 59
13. Clipstone FC 42 55

Team sponsors


Club sponsors