Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

Shepshed Dynamo
Rainworth Miners Welfare
Sat 6 Nov 15:00 - Evo-Stik League - First Division South Full time Attendance 109

Red-faced Wrens hand Shepshed their first win

Evo-Stik League Division I South Shepshed Dynamo 3 Rainwolrth MW 1 Report by Les Lee Pictures by Derek Bentley

RAINWORTH slipped closer to a relegation dogfight at The Dovecote on Saturday after handing Shepshed their first victory of the season on a plate.
Shepshed were given a two goal start in the opening 10 minutes, the first from the penalty spot and both the result of poor defending, and notched a third before the break.
And although, having introduced Dennis Simms, Rainworth performed better in the second half they were only able to pull one goal back through Matt Baxter as they failed to make the most of the opportunities they created.
Shepshed included on their bench Michael Hewitt who made the move from Rainworth recently, while his brother Chris was in the Wrens’ starting line-up.
Rob Paling and Craig Mitchell, who missed the match at Lincoln United, also returned along with Matt Draper, back from suspension, and new boy Jay’Lee Hodgson made his debut for the visitors.
Rainworth had the first shot on goal when James Jepson fired straight at Gavin Saxby from the edge of the box.
But it was Dynamo who drew first blood in the seventh minute. Mark Hales could only half parry away a free kick, and the ball fell to Rob Norris in the area. Hales, caught in no man’s land, made a desperate tackle on Norris and a penalty was awarded. The Wrens keeper, having duly been shown a yellow card, was then beaten from the spot by Norris.
Two minutes later Shepshed increased their lead, again through Norris. Despite two attempts to clear a long throw from the right the Wrens could not get the ball away. Again it fell to Norris, who squeezed it home at the near post.
It might have been 3-0 in the 22nd minute. Cameron Fearon’s clearance only reached Dave Frecklington, whose first time long range shot flashed just wide of the post.
Mitchell found himself through on the Shepshed goal three minutes later, only to shoot straight at Saxby under pressure from a defender.
Shepshed made it 3-0 in the 36th minute when Norris turned creator, crossing for Justin Jenkins to head on, and Greg Smith headed in from close range.
Shepshed began the second half with Jenkins firing an angled shot over the bar, then Draper cleared off the line from a long throw.
Rainworth began to exert some pressure, and in the 64th minute Jepson’s free kick was headed clear only as far as Baxter who aimed narrowly wide.
Simms also went close after a fine run, but Rainworth were thrown a lifeline in the 68th minute. Jepson floated another free kick into the area and Draper headed down for Baxter to volley home.
Baxter was unlucky in the 73rd minute following another good run and cross from Simms, the midfielder’s first time shot again going just wide.
Simms was in action again making a quick break on the right to win a corner which was not cleared any further than Hodgson, who picked out Barry Alberry on the six yard line, but yet again his header was wide of the mark.
Rainworth had strong penalty appeals turned down when Saxby clashed with Hodgson as the new boy was put through by Jepson, but Mr Wilkes awarded only a corner which the giant Saxby collected comfortably.
In the closing minutes Saxby fouled Simms on the edge of the area, but Baxter was unable to keep his direct shot on target.
Shepshed almost got one back in a counter-attack when Lheureux Menga was through one on one with Hales who saved with his leg at the expense of a corner.
That was cleared and Simms created space in the opposite area, but yet again the shot was wide, as was Baxter’s subsequent effort after Draper had an effort blocked.
Shepshed were denied a fourth goal right at the end, when Menga rounded Alberry, but Hales managed a touch on the ball and Draper completed the clearance off the line.
SHEPSHED: Saxby, Fairclough, Lund, Stubbs, Screaton, Frecklington (Smedley 49),
Leggitt (M. Hewitt 65), Bolland, Smith (Menga 62), Kenkins, Norris. Only three subs named.
RAINWORTH: Hales, Fearon, Jepson, Draper, Baxter, Paling, C. Hewitt (Jackson 31), Goodson (Alberry 49), Hodgson, Mitchell (Simms 59), Topliss.
REFEREE: Matt Wilkes of Dudley.

Train with the Best - Win a training session with the England 6-a-side squad

Videos and photos

Shepshed away
25 photos
Shepshed away

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division South results

Sheffield FC
Loughborough Dynamo
Market Drayton Town
Newcastle Town
Grantham Town
Spalding United
Sutton Coldfield Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Leek Town 42 47
17. Loughborough Dynamo 42 46
18. Market Drayton Town 42 44
19. Stamford 42 42
20. Rainworth Miners Welfare 42 40
21. Shepshed Dynamo 42 21
22. Spalding United 42 16

Team sponsors


Club sponsors