Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Rainworth MWFC app


1st Team - Match centre

Rainworth Miners Welfare
Sutton Coldfield Town
Sat 26 Mar 13:00 - Evo-Stik League - First Division South Full time Attendance 81

Wrens stunned by late penalty

Evo-Stik League Division I South Rainworth MW 1 Sutton Coldfield Town 2 Report by Les Lee

RAINWORTH felt the force of football’s habit of kicking you when you are down at Kirklington Road on Saturday.
With five minutes remaining and the score locked at 1-1 Stef Frost’s delightful chip shot beat Royals keeper Karl Lewis but came back off the far post and substitute Chris Hewitt lifted the rebound over the bar.
And then, having survived that scare, the Play-off chasing West Midlanders notched the winner from Craig Marshall’s 89th minute penalty to go home with the three points and leave the Wrens still needing two to ensure the safety which is already theirs in all but mathematical terms.
It was a cruel blow for Rainworth, who looked a far better outfit than that which suffered a 5-1 thrashing on a cold Monday night at Sutton back in January.
Marshall had cancelled out Rainworth’s 1-0 interval lead with a goal three minutes into the re-start, this after Matt Baxter had put the Wrens ahead from the spot in the 34th minute.
Baxter was a surprise inclusion in the side, having appeared to have tweaked a hamstring a week earlier, but returned to his more accustomed role in midfield, having previously filled in in defence for the injured Ryan Carolan, who made his first start since his recovery.
Meanwhile Nick Langford was preferred up front, getting the nod ahead of Danwell Francis.
The visitors were the more prominent in early play, and Tommy Hannigan twice tidied up for the home side, first from a corner and then from a threatening run by Stuart McNaught.
But it was not until the 18th minute that the spectators saw a decent goal attempt, Marshall’s strong angled effort from the right edge of the area flashing beyond the far post.
Rainworth threatened for the first time in the 25th minute, Lee Cooksey working well along the left to cross to Baxter, who saw his shot blocked and cleared.
Max Wright then sent a long range effort wide before Hannigan again stood out in the home defence to end another sortie from the visitors, then Mark Hales denied Mark Bellingham with a fine save.
But the game turned just after the half hour. First, in the 33rd minute, Lewis brilliantly saved from Frost, whose shot was destined for the top corner until the keeper clawed it for a corner. Then McNaught was harried into handling from the ensuing flag kick, and Baxter confidently slotted the penalty.
There was a scare for the Wrens, though, in the 43rd minute when Hales dropped Hannigan’s back header, fortunately Hannigan recovered to clear.
And, as the first half entered added time, Brendon Kelly headed wide from the second of two successive corners for Sutton Coldfield.
Rainworth were happy to be carrying the lead into the interval, but within three minutes of the restart they had surrendered it. Marshall turned marker Charlesworth and guided the ball out of the outstretched Hales’ reach .
Buoyed by the equaliser, the Royals began to up the pace and Nick Dodd advanced down the right to angle his cross-shot too high.
And with the Wrens coming under a spell of intense pressure Hales brilliantly diverted Marshall’s 18-yard screamer for a corner.
Chris Hewitt, who had replaced cold victim Nick Langford at half time, posed a threat along the right for Rainworth in the 73rd minute, but showed Lewis too much of the ball and the keeper collected it safely.
It was a brief respite though, as the visitors, inspired by the always industrious Craig Owen, went looking for the win they needed to keep them in the Play-off mix, but Rainworth competed well and it was so nearly they who grabbed a goal in the 85th minute.
Frost, who had scored four goals in his last three games, thought he had made it five in four when he broke though and, as Lewis advanced, chipped over the keeper only to see the ball agonisingly come back off the far post.
And Sutton exacted the maximum punishment for the miss in the 89th minute. Charlesworth was unable to clear the ball in the area under pressure from Marshall and, as it broke, Hannigan went to chest it, but it grazed against his arm. The defender was harshly booked for hands, and Marshall dispatched the spot kick to send the visitors home happy and heap more frustration on the home side.
RAINWORTH: Hales, Paling, Carolan (Briggs 77), Charlesworth, Hannigan, Camm, Frost, Baxter, Cooksey, Langford (Hewitt ht), Wright (Francis 80). Subs not used: Topliss, Drake.
SUTTON COLDFIELD: Lewis, N. Dodd, Jackson (Miller ht), McNaught, Booth, Kelly, M. Dodd, Owen, Marshall, Bellingham (Harris 72), Quiggin. Subs not used: Milligan, Pinto, Taylor.
REFEREE: Alexander Harvey of West Bridgford.
GOALS: Rainworth—Baxter 34 pen. Sutton—Marshall 48, 89 pen.
MEN OF THE MATCH: Rainworth—Tommy Hannigan. Sutton and overall—Craig Owen.

Up your game with easyfundraising

Video Advertising

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division South results

Newcastle Town
Spalding United
Loughborough Dynamo
Market Drayton Town
Grantham Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
16. Leek Town 42 47
17. Loughborough Dynamo 42 46
18. Market Drayton Town 42 44
19. Stamford 42 42
20. Rainworth Miners Welfare 42 40
21. Shepshed Dynamo 42 21
22. Spalding United 42 16

Team sponsors


Club sponsors