Who's that Rookie - Part 7
This week I interview one of the blokes from our new Irish Contingent.
The influx of new rookies we have the season aren't limited to just Aussies and Canadians, we've also recruited a few Irish men! First up is Bryan Campbell.
How did you hear about footy and the Rebels?
A friend I met snowboarding (Justin Stafford) mentioned it to me when I told him I couldn’t play rugby anymore. Sent an email into the OAFL website, Morgs got in contact and the rest is history….
What do you enjoy most about the sport?
Like rugby, people automatically think Rules is a sport where you kick the crap out of each other. It’s not until you actually play the game that you get a real appreciation for it. What I admire most about the sport is the strategy and tactics that are involved and the ability to break down each aspect of play and create matchups to suit your style. Obviously I love physicality but what I’m finding is controlling and channeling that aggression is the key to the sport and certainly a challenge I’ll take any day.
When did you start playing footy and for what team?
Started (well stop/start) this year for the Rebels
How do you think the rebels will do this season?
Honestly speaking I believe reaching playoffs should be considered a massive step forward for this team given our placing last season. We have put ourselves in with a great chance so why not!? There is a great spirit and attitude and I understand now why we are the envy of the league. What is key for the team is having Morgs back (GET IN!!) and retaining and training all of the Canadians. Even I can see there has been an absolute massive improvement from when they started. While the question is about this season I’m really excited to see where this team goes boys.
Favourite rebels moment so far?
Jesus there are so many so I’ll name a few:
1. Trying to catch a ball like a rugby ball in my first session and falling on the floor when it smacked me in the stones
2. Watching Monty take no s**t in games….. You’d be welcome to play rugby with me any day mate and every team needs characters like you
3. The way Morgs interacts with individuals. He knows exactly how to talk to each player to improve them. Some react better to criticism than others and you’ll make a really good coach when your playing days are over
4. Talking to Sean for the first time and watching everyones clueless looks. Irish people talk a lot faster when together and I even had some trouble understanding him
5. No playing comments for me here as the best is yet to come. Look forward boys, I’ll show you I’m worth the wait
Footy clubs are full of characters, name a Rebel you think falls in this category and why?
Yeah Bird! Have to give it to him…. Have a laugh with him on the sideline and some of his stories are brilliant…. Give him a few drinks and watch out ladies. But please Seany, stay away from the gear, you’re already mad enough!
I’ll end on this note; getting to the business end of the season boys, let’s show everyone we’re a new unified team. Controlled aggression and never say die attitude. I’m a firm believer in Karma and we’re due some luck given the recent results. Get training and stay involved, people don’t respect you, @#$% em, they’ll regret it after 4 quarters!