Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Redbridge Football Club app


1st Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Redbridge FC
Takeley FC
L Greene (88' Sent Off)
Full time
Sat 5 Jan 15:00 - Essex Senior League - Senior Division Attendance 65

New Era Starts With Defeat

Micky Wetherall started life as Redbridge manager with a 1-0 defeat against Takeley but will take plenty of positives out of the performance

A new era began at the Oakside as new manager Micky Wetherall took charge for the first time as he tried to change the Motormen’s fortunes and get them moving up the table.

Standing in their way were an inform Takeley side sitting 3rd in the table with promotion ambitions and it was the away side who started the quickest and looked to attack from the off through striker Josh Sykes.

It was the home side who had the first chance when new signing Connor Okus saw his shot saved down low by Ronnie Yates. They should have gone in front when a good chance was spurned by Samuel Phillips after Vladut Sighiratau’s initial shot was parried and fell straight into his path.

Redbridge v Takeley-05/01/19 by Philip Lindhurst
322 photos

The first chance for Takeley fell to Andre Humphrey as his shot was well saved by Lewis Greene before Sykes thought he had scored when after showing good composure in the box he saw his effort blocked on the line by Marcus Carter.

It was Sykes once again causing problems for the home defence as he got in front of his man and was first to react to a cross but his header was caught by Greene.

The away side came forward again after Alex Martin disposed his man before running into the area and unleashing a powerful drive which was carried away by Greene who was certainly the busier of the two keepers thus far.

Redbridge started to get on top and came forward with Phillips winning a corner which was swung in finding Okus at the far post who saw his effort blocked before the ball fell at the feet of striker Dan Gilchrist who could only managed to fire wide.

On two occasions they were guilty of not releasing the ball early enough which led to their attacks breaking down allowing Takeley to clear the danger. They then put together a nice passing move ending at the feet of Phillips but his touch was too heavy and allowed for a defender to clear.

With halt time looming and against the run of play Takeley took the lead when a long ball was flicked onto Jason Todd who poked home, it was a cruel blow to the home side who felt unfortunate to come in at the break losing.

The first chance of the second period came when Redbridge were awarded a free kick after Sighiratau was tripped, Okus took the resulting kick which drifted just wide.

Gilchrist then saw his drive deflected out for a corner before he then saw his effort well turned over by the diving Yates.
Takeley then came forward and had a chance when Todd stole the ball from Dean Hall and ran down on goal but saw his shot go wide of the target.

A let off followed for the home side as Sykes played through Oguntuga who looked likely to score but for a good challenge by Liam Burgess which saw the ball fall invitingly at the feet of Mason Page but his shot was well blocked and went out for a corner.

Oguntuga then stopped believing he was offside only for the referee to wave play on , he continued his run before cutting inside a defender only to have his shot saved.

A defensive mix up then saw a Takeley player pulled down to the ground by Greene and the referee had no hesitation in sending him from the field. With all the home substitutions already made one of their changes Taylor Tombides picked up the gloves and went in goal.

His first job was to try and save the resulting penalty taken by goal scorer Todd and he did just that as he saved down to his right denying a second goal for Takeley.

Several minutes of injury time were then played but Redbridge were not able to get the equaliser as the full time whistle was blown and although the game ended in defeat Micky Wetherall will be able to take the positives out of an improved performance in their fight against relegation.

report by Adam Silver

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Key moments

Red Card Lewis Greene is sent off for Redbridge FC

Videos and photos


View 0 new events
89:00 Saved Penalty
Taylor Tombides saves a penalty for Redbridge FC
88:00 Red Card 0 - 0
Lewis Greene is sent off for Redbridge FC
69:00 Sub On
Kai Heather is substituted on for Redbridge FC
69:00 Sub Off
Larry Asare is substituted off for Redbridge FC
69:00 Sub On
Bryan Kyungu is substituted on for Redbridge FC
69:00 Sub Off
Samuel Phillips is substituted off for Redbridge FC
58:00 Sub On
Vladut Sighiartau is substituted on for Redbridge FC
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Redbridge FC
  • Takeley FC
  • 0
  • Vladut Sighiartau Sub On 58:00'
  • Kai Heather Sub On 69:00'
  • Larry Asare Sub Off 69:00'
  • Bryan Kyungu Sub On 69:00'
  • Samuel Phillips Sub Off 69:00'
  • Lewis Greene Red Card 88:00'
  • Taylor Tombides Saved Penalty 89:00'

Team selection

League round up

Other Senior Division results

Leyton Athletic FC
Enfield 1893 FC
Hoddesdon Town FC
Hullbridge Sports FC
Sawbridgeworth Town FC
St Margaretsbury FC
Sporting Bengal United FC
West Essex FC
Stanway Rovers FC
Walthamstow FC


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
14. West Essex FC 26 28
15. Stanway Rovers FC 24 27
16. Redbridge FC 24 24
17. Southend Manor FC 23 21
18. Tower Hamlets FC 24 21
19. Leyton Athletic FC 23 15
20. Barkingside FC 23 12