Rossington Main FC was originally thought to have been formed back in 1926, but local knowledge shows that a team bearing the name Rossington Colliery played a match, in 1919, at the back of the Colliery Offices. The Club moved to their present ground at Oxford Street in 1921. it is thought that in their first season they made it to the 4th Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, losing out to Lincoln City in a replay and the game was played on where the Cricket field is today (Back of the Main Stand in the picture). Although according to the football club history database website at http://www.fchd.btinternet.co.uk that only has them reaching the 2nd Qualifying Round in 2002-03.
Unfortunately if the game did occur we do not possess any records as to how many turned up though as was the level of enthusiasm with football at that period then there may well have been a fair number watching.
The Club was formed, as was in the majority of mining communities, to provide Colliery workers with a game of football, changing it's name to Rossington Miners Welfare when the mines were nationalised in 1948. Over the many years of it's existence the Club has competed at many levels; The Doncaster Senior League, The Doncaster & District Sunday Alliance League, The Doncaster & District Boy's Sunday Football League, The Sheffield County Senior League, The Yorkshire League, The Central Midlands League and after changing it's name to the current Rossington Main FC they have competed in the Sheffield & Hallamshire WRAGG League and The Northern Counties East Football League, also Nationally in the FA Cup and FA Vase, winning many trophies along the way. As is the modern trend, the Club has made vast improvements to the ground at Oxford Street in order to compete at the highest possible level in the Football Pyramid, and is indebted to the work of individuals and The Rossington Combined Sports Society, Weekly Letter Draw, for the finance responsible to carry out these developments.