Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Salford City Football Club


Academy 92 - Match centre

Daisy Hill
Salford City
Tue 19 Sep 19:30 - Cup Full time Attendance 133

Anointed Hat-Trick Sends Salford Through

Salford academy striker Anointed Chukwu bagged a hat-trick as Daisy Hill were beaten 4-1 in the FA Youth Cup




0-1 Anointed CHUKWU (27th min)
0-2 Simeon BURROWS (28th min)
1-2 Kieron YOUNG (31st min)
1-3 Anointed CHUKWU (70th min)
1-4 Anointed CHUKWU (80th min)

A hat-trick from Anointed Chukwu helped ease Salford’s academy side into the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup. A 4-1 win at the New Sirs was fair reflection on a game that saw plenty of good attacking football, despite conditions that verged on difficult.

A wet night under the floodlights in Westhoughton and the early stages of the tie were fairly even. A 3rd minute Daisy free-kick was well struck but took a deflection off a blue-shirted player that took it high over the crossbar. Salford made an opening soon after that as Kamar Moncrieffe cut inside from the left before hitting an effort that spun off a defender and behind for a corner.

Early signs of intent from both teams but Salford soon began to dominate the attacking posession. In the 8th minute Chukwu used his strength to hold off a challenge on the right before pulling a low ball back into the 6-yard box. The cross hit a home defender the deflected towards goal where another Daisy man was positioned conveniently to put in a hasty but effective clearance.

Skipper Sam Adetiloye was the next to threaten, driving in a low, angled effort from right-of-centre that was stopped by the extended foot of home keeper Joe Leather. Daisy Hill were being pressed back and on 18 minutes Charles Voss won a crunching challenge on halfway before passing to the left where Moncrieffe was waiting. The Salford number 9’s diagnonal run inside took him the edge of the box where he let fly with a low shot that cleared the far post by a yard or so.

Salford were knocking on the door and a Lewis Foster corner from the right dropped for Chukwu, just left-of-centre and 10 yards out. The big striker was virtually unmarked but his sights weren’t quite in yet and the header back across Leather flew wide of the upright.

It was Harry Hatton’s turn next as he cut into the box on the right only to hesitate just long enough for Joseph Wood to get in a last-ditch challenge.

Daisy Hill had looked occasionally dangerous on the break but their first decent sight of goal for a while fell for Jamie Bamwell who turned just outside the box before trying a shot that went wide of George Neave’s left-hand post.

Back at the other end the home side were struggling to contain Chukwu and with 21 minutes played he possession well on the right-hand side of the area. A low, drilled cross zipped its way across the 6-yard box but no white shirt was close enough to apply what would have been the simplest of close-range finishes.

Neave was called into action again as Salford were hit on the break after giving the ball away inside Daisy Hill territory. A long punt forward seemed to have stretched the home defence only for Neave to switch into sweeper mode, advancing to clear as home forwards closed in.

The lively Simeon Burrows was booked just past the midway point of the half for clipping advancing Daisy keeper Leather, having already been flagged offside. The home side put together a decent attacking move after that but Bamwell’s lobbed effort from 20 yards dropped well wide of Neave’s right-hand post.

Daisy Hill might just have been anticipating a turn of the game’s tide but any such hopes would be doused over the next few minutes. CHUKWU collected possession wide on the right before shrugging off a challenge and setting off on a run that would take him into the right-hand side of the penalty area. Having got there a finish was required and he did not disappoint, guiding a low shot across Leather and inside the far post.

Salford deserved that lead and within another minute or so managed to double it, on the back of their very next attack. It was a cracking bit of play too as Adetiloye’s low forward pass into the area was cleverly flicked to the right by Chukwu for BURROWS to place a composed low finish just inside Leather’s left-hand upright.

A double-blow for Daisy Hill but they are a determined outfit and responded by putting Salford’s defence under some pressure. In the 28th minute Scott Thompson tried a low 22-yarder that was deflected wide of Neave’s right-hand post and from their next foray the home side were very much back in contention. Daisy defender Thomas Johnson’s long pass up the right played KIERON YOUNG into space and as Neave advanced to close him down he dropped a perfectly judged angled lob over the keeper and into the net.

A great finish from the home forward but Salford almost restored their two-goal advantage within barely a minute of the restart. Chukwu again found himself in possession on the right-hand side of Daisy Hill’s penalty area and tight to the line. A delicately chipped cross dropped to clip off the front of the bar but there was no white shirt on hand to pick up the loose ball.

An eventful first-half quietened down a little after that although Daisy Hill spent the final couple of minutes seriously looking for an equaliser. First Thompson sent a shot from distance wide of the target then in the 42nd minute a cross from the right was nodded goalwards. Adetiloye was there, almost on the line, to get a head on the ball and Neave subsequently pushed it behind for a corner.

The set-piece was cleared and that late first-half chance would be the closest Daisy Hill would come to getting back on level terms.


With more clinical finishing Salford could well have been out of sight already but as it was they still had work to do if the game was to be won. Within 4 minutes of the restart Chukwu had found space to hit a left-of-centre 16-yarder goalwards but Leather was equal to it, getting down to push the ball wide of his left-hand upright. Adetiloye headed the subsequent corner over the bar and Daisy Hill were still very much within touching distance.

In the 50th minute Burrows made way for Marcus Smith for Salford who continued to hog possession, patiently waiting for opportunities to present themselves. Six minutes after the substitution Adetiloye slid a pass to the left for Henry Eadie but he could only direct a low effort wide of Leather’s right-hand post.

On the hour Hatton advanced on the right before working the ball inside for Moncrieffe whose shot came back off the post. Hatton did well again a few minutes later, turning smartly on the edge of the penalty area to slam in a low shot that went just wide of Leather’s left-hand post.

Daisy Hill were working hard to restrict their opponents as much as possible but were struggling to make any sort of impact at the other end of the pitch. For their part Salford could well have been 3 or 4 ahead by this point and finally restored their two-goal cushion with 20 minutes to play. A spell of pressure finished as Moncrieffe crashed in a half-volley, with Leather flinging up an arm to make a great save. Luck wasn’t with the Daisy keeper however as the loose ball fell for CHUKWU who had a simple task to poke home from close range, recording his second - and Salford's third - of the night.

Daisy needed to find a response if the game was to be saved, but they failed to do in the face of opposition who were defending with vigour and looking for the chance to chalk up more goals. Ten minutes from time CHUKWU completed an impressive evening’s work by securing his hat-trick, rounding off another decent move with a drilled low effort from the edge of the area that beat Leather at his right-hand upright.

With 5 minutes left substitutes Nathan Wright and Clayton Gorman combined, with the latter turning to hit a 20-yarder over the bar.

With the clock running down there was no way back for Daisy Hill and it is Salford who progress to the next qualifying round of the FA Youth Cup.


An impressive team performance from the academy side who managed to tuck away some of the goals that evaded them during the previous round’s narrow win over Mossley. In truth they could have notched a few more this evening as well but a heavier defeat would have been unkind on a Daisy Hill side that displayed plenty of effort and heart.

Anointed Chukwu will steal the headlines, courtesy of his hat-trick but can be equally pleased with his all-round performance. His stature will always cause problems for defenders but that size and strength allied with touch and awareness make him a formidable prospect. A good night for him but this was a very promising showing all over the park, with every player doing his own job – credit is due to all the lads and to the coaching staff who are shaping their side impressively.


DAISY HILL (All blue):

15) Thomas JOHNSON
10) Joseph WOOD
11) Sam LOWE
17) Jamie BAMWELL
12) Kieron YOUNG

4) Dylan HUBERT (63rd min)
7) Tom LEE
5) Conor O'NEIL
18) Billy SANDERS (82nd min)
16) Daniel WILLIAMSON (for WOOD, 74th min)

SALFORD CITY (White/black/black):

1) George NEAVE
5) Lewis FOSTER
2) Joel BARLOW
4) Alex DOYLE
20) Henry EADIE
14) Sam ADETILOYE (c)
6) Charles VOSS
21) Simeon BURROWS
18) Anointed CHUKWU
19) Harry HATTON

15) Nathan WRIGHT (for EADIE, 82nd min)
3) Marcus SMITH (for BURROWS, 50th min)
12) Clayton GORMAN (for HATTON, 72nd min)
16) Callum BURTON

Referee: Mr. Ryan ALDRED
Assistants: Mr. David MARTINDALE & Mr. Steven OWEN

Attendance: 133

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors