Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Salford City Football Club


Academy 92 - Match centre

Salford City
Warrington Town
Tue 3 Oct 19:30 - Cup Full time Attendance 129

Young Ammies Take it to the Wire

A brace from Mani Ogunrinde - one at the end of each half - overcame Warrington Town in the FA Youth Cup tie at Moor Lane




1-0 Mani OGUNRINDE (45th min)
1-1 Cole HIGHAM (53rd min)
2-1 Mani OGUNRINDE (90+2 mins)

Goals from Mani Ogunrinde at the end of each was enough to book a deserved place in the hat for Friday’s FA Youth Cup third qualifying round draw. Salford had largely dominated the proceedings at Moor Lane, especially during the final half-hour and eventually found a cutting edge to finish off their impressive approach play.

The first half would be a fairly low-key affair with both sides playing some neat stuff without managing to create anything clear-cut. The first incident to trouble the statisticians arrived in the 17th minute when Town’s Kasey Jones and Salford’s Ugunrinde were booked following a brief spat on the halfway line.

The home side were perhaps seeing more of the ball but almost went behind in the 20th minute as the Wire out together a quick attacking move. The tricky Ross Avies moved possession inside from the left and Aidan Griffiths moved into a little space on the edge of Salford’s penalty area. This was a decent opening for Town’s number 9 but he could only place a low shot straight at Salford keeper George Neave.

A rare opening that could have provided the game’s opening goal for Warrington but Salford began to apply some real pressure as the interval approached. Six minutes before the break Marcus Smith tried a lofted effort from outside the left-hand angle of the area but the ball dropped a few yards over Josh Wainwright’s crossbar. Soon after that Ibrahim Morris set off on a run down the right before dropping a peach of a cross towards the far post. Tall striker Anointed Chukwu was under pressure from Kasey Jones but was disappointed to see his close-range glanced header go wide.

At the other end Luke Brocklehurst had a go from a 30-yard free-kick but couldn’t keep the shot down.

Salford upped the tempo again after that and Chukwu did well to drift into the left-hand side of the area before drilling a low ball towards the near post. Ogunrinde slid in to try and get a decisive touch but the angle was very tight and the he could only divert the ball wide from close-range.

It was looking as if the scoreline would be blank at half-time but in the first half’s final minute Salford were awarded a free-kick, well left-of-centre and about 20 yards out. OGUNRINDE hit a shot with real venom and the pace of the ball took it past the hastily extended right arm of Wainwright to make it 1-0.


Salford just about deserved their half-time advantage but were pegged back just 8 minutes after the restart. A nicely lobbed pass from outside the area caught out the home defence and Warrington substitute COLE HIGHAM stretched to steer the ball past Neave.

That game came at the end of Warrington’s best attacking spell of the game so far and for a while the game settled into a pattern of Salford pressing a resilient Town defence. Just past the hour Ogunrinde played a ball from the line, on the right, back into the path of Sam Wright and after he drilled in a low ball to the edge of the 6-yard box Chukwu lifted a first-time effort over the bar.

A good chance for Salford but they were getting on top now and there would be more to come. In the 65th minute substitutes Simeon Burrows and Dan Thompson-Edwards linked up as the former touched a pass back from inside the box for the latter to lash a 20-yarder over the bar. Within another minute Brocklehurst was booked for a foul on Chukwu just outside the area but from right-of-centre Thompson-Edwards’ low free-kick slammed into the defensive wall.

Salford were winning a variety of set-pieces and 19 minutes from time Thompson-Edwards’ pacy free-kick from wide on the right found Chukwu but from 9 yards out he could only head over the bar. In the previous round Chukwu’s hat-trick had been the undoing of Daisy Hill and he almost snatched another goal here, doing well to get past a defender and into the left-hand side of the Town area. The shot was on but a low effort scraped outside the far post with the incoming Ogunrinde just failing to make contact with the ball.

The Wire had been very much restricted in terms of chances since scoring their equaliser but they did fashion an opening with 76 minutes played. Brocklehurst’s free-kick from the left was headed out and Griffiths hit a first-time effort just wide of Neave’s left-hand upright.
The action switched back to the West Stand end and Salford almost snatched the goal they needed with 10 minutes left. Another free-kick was awarded, just outside the box and right-of-centre. Ogunride took this one and floated in a great diagonal cross that Kamar Moncrieffe met with an angled diving header. Wainwright got down to his left to push the ball away and although Sam Wright got to the ball right on the line he could only lift a last-gasp effort into the side-netting.

Salford were knocking on the door again but despite a few jittery moments Warrington’s defence was holding out. Three minutes from time Sam Wright’s low cross from the right fell for Burrows whose rising first-time effort from 15 yards was headed behind by Ben White. In the 89th minute Smith lofted in a cross from the left but from the edge of the area Chukwu’s looping header dropped a yard over the bar.

The prospect of half-an-hour’s energy sapping extra-time was looming large but Ogunrinde was about to repeat his first-half late show. A Salford free-kick was played forward to Thompson-Edwards and he played a low diagonal pass to the right. Ogunrinde had timed his run nicely and met the ball to slide a low finish past the advancing Wainwright to score his second goal of the evening.

A nicely worked goal to win the tie and there was time for another Salford chance but Thompson-Edwards’ left-of-centre 20-yarder was straight at Wainwright.


There can be no doubt that Jamie Russell and Lewis Craig’s side deserved to win this cup tie but as with the Mossley game a few weeks ago they struggled to put away the chances they created. You’d have fancied the home side if the game had gone into extra-time as they’d dominated the closing stages of the game but thanks to Ogunrinde’s late strike the game was settled in 90 minutes – or more accurately, 90+2.

Salford City’s youth team march on and are now only a game away from a potential game against an EFL team’s under 18s.


SALFORD CITY (Red/white/white):

1) George NEAVE
16) Sam WRIGHT
3) Marcus SMITH
4) Alex DOYLE
17) Markell FOULDS
6) Charles VOSS
14) Sam ADETILOYE (c)
18) Anointed CHUKWU
7) Ibrahim MORRIS

15) Nathan WRIGHT
2) Joel BARLOW
10) Simeon BURROWS (for ADETILOYE, 61st min)
23) Henry EADIE
20) Dan THOMPSON-EDWARDS (for MORRIS, 51st min)

Booked: Ogunrinde

WARRINGTON TOWN (Yellow/blue/yellow):

2) Kasey JONES
4) Joe RUANE
5) Ben WHITE
6) Connor HUGHES
7) Alex JONES
8) Patrick WRIGHT
10) Bobbie McDONNELL
11) Ross AVIES

12) Danny HAMLETT (for Alex JONES, 81st min)
15) Cole HIGHAM (for McDONNELL, half-time)
16) Josh INGHAM (for HUGHES, 90th min)
17) Ben JONES

Booked: Kasey Jones, Brocklehurst

Referee: Mr. Paul BENTLEY
Assistants: Mr. Emmanuel FOTSING & Mr. Ali RAHJOO

Attendance: 129

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors