Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Salford City Football Club


1st Team - Match centre

Salford City Football Club
York City
L Hogan (44')
Full time
Unknown (54', 85')
Sat 16 Sep 15:00 - Cup Attendance 1,350

Two Slices of Parkin Stuffs Ammies

York City striker Jon Parkin struck twice as the Minstermen came from behind to end Salford's FA Cup hopes





1-0 Liam Hogan (45+2 mins)
1-1 Jon PARKIN (64th min)
1-2 Jon PARKIN (85th min)

Two goals from veteran striker Jon Parkin put paid to Salford City’s FA Cup hopes on what was – for Salford City - a disappointing afternoon at Moor Lane. The Ammies hit York’s crossbar no less than 3 times during an end-to-end second half and deserved a replay but cup football can be brutal and no second chance was forthcoming.

There were changes in personnel and formation from the midweek win versus Nuneaton Town, with a 5-3-2/3-5-2 replacing the 4-4-2. Skipper Liam Hogan was back in the starting eleven, on the left side of back three alongside Lois Maynard and Carl Piergianni. In front of them sat Scott Burton, with Michael Nottingham at right wing-back and Josh Askew on the left. Mark Shelton formed a central midfield partnership with Dom McHale – making his first Salford start - with Mani Dieseruvwe and Richie Allen up front. Dropping to the bench to accommodate the changes were Ibou Touray, Anthony Dudley, Jack Redshaw & Mike Phenix.

FA Cup ties have provided some memorable afternoon and evenings at Moor Lane over recent seasons but this one would take some time to come to life. York were busy during the opening stages without demonstrating a cutting edge and the Ammies were quiet. With 8 minutes played Amari Morgan-Smith looked to latch onto a flicked header but the assistant’s raised flag brought the move to an end.

Louis Almond had started brightly for the visitors and the former Southport man advanced on a left-of-centre run only to scuff his low effort well wide of Max Crocombe’s left-hand upright. The game was yet to spark into life but Almond worked another opening for himself in the 13th minute, twisting and turning outside the area before hitting a 20-yarder that took a nick that made the save straightforward for Crocombe.

Salford had offered little so far in an attacking sense but almost snatched the lead with 14 minutes on the clock. Scott Burton’s ball over the top played Josh Askew into the space on the right-hand side of the area. The angle was tight and Jon Worsnop had positioned himself perfectly to block the low, angled effort on goal that followed. The ball bounced loose but this time Askew’s attempt to head back into the middle dropped harmlessly wide of the far post.

The Minstermen were beginning to play some neat football and from their next attack the impressive Sean Newton’s pass up the left set Morgan-Smith off on a run. An unselfish square ball into the path of Parkin in the middle gave the big centre-forward a sight of goal but from 20 yards out his rising effort passed a yard over the crossbar. In the 19th minute the visitors created another opportunity after Almond’s pass to the left was chased and caught by Morgan-Smith. A neat lay-off gave Newton the chance to dart for the line before playing a low ball into the middle, only for Crocombe to get down and tip the ball away as Simon Heslop closed in.

Morgan-Smith was causing problems on Salford’s right again midway through the first half, once more finding Parkin on the edge of the box. From left-of-centre the former Macclesfield Town striker tried an ambitious left-foot volley that rose high into the air before dropping out for a throw on the far side of the pitch. The home crowd had already given Parkin some stick for his ample frame and handed out some more here but York’s number 9 would have the last laugh…

In the meantime the Minstermen won a free-kick in the 24th minute with Josh Law trying his luck from left-of-centre and almost 30 yards out. The ball flicked off the head of a defender in the wall and out for a corner that was cleared by the home defence.

The first half-hour had consisted primarily of York asking the odd question and Salford’s defence answering firmly. The Ammies hadn’t really applied too much pressure to this point but 13 minutes before half-time Hogan pushed forward to hit a shot from distance that cleared the bar by a good few yards.

The proceedings grew even quieter after that with neither side able to conjure the quality to break down the respective opposing defences. It looked as if the an unmemorable first-half would end without a goal, but Salford broke the deadline out of the blue in the 2nd minute of time added on. The Ammies won a free-kick on the left and Shelton delivered just beyond the far post where HOGAN got in a deft header that beat Worsnop before dropping inside the keeper’s right-hand upright.


Largely undistinguished fare so far, other than for Hogan’s fine finish but but the second half was livelier almost from the off. York were the first side to threaten as Almond tried a 25-yarder that curled narrowly outside Crocombe’s left-hand post. At the other end McHale and Dieseruvwe exchanged passes before the former hit a low shot from the edge of the box that was bravely – and effectively – blocked by Danny Parslow.

It was York’s turn again next as Newton delivered a cross from the left and although Parkin crashed to the turf under a challenge from Piergianni the referee was unmoved by claims for a penalty.

York defender Hamza Bencherif was booked in the 52nd minute after needlessly handballing when challenging for a header with Dieseruvwe. The mistake almost proved costly as Askew’s free-kick delivery from the right was headed toward goal by Piergianni with the ball dropping onto the top of the bar and out for a goal-kick.

Salford could so easily have found themselves two goals up but within 60 seconds of Piergianni's near miss they had been pegged back. York left-back Alex Whittle cleverly evaded two challenges outside the home penalty area before spraying a pass out to the right where Almond was waiting. Salford looked a little stretched and York’s number 11 played a low cross into the 6-yard box where PARKIN coolly directed the ball between Crocombe and his right-hand post.

A 200th career goal for Parkin and he celebrated in suitable fashion with the York fans gathered in the East Stand behind Crocombe’s goal.

The second half was already a vast improvement on the first in terms of entertainment and Salford responded positively to the setback. An Almond foray into home territory was stopped in its tracks by McHale’s challenge and the Salford man immediately countered before passing into the right-hand side of the area. Dieseruvwe was there to collect, working the ball inside for Askew whose powerful 12-yard effort was blocked by Law.

This was turning into end-to-end stuff and Almond’s chipped pass into the left-hand side of the area looked set to play in Morgan-Smith until Crocombe advanced at speed to collect. The Salford keeper was forced into action again within a minute to thwart the same player after Newton’s forward pass was picked up by Parkin. Morgan-Smith got into the box on the left again to meet a low diagonal ball slid in by Parkin but Crocombe was there, this time punting a clearance that slammed into the York man’s midriff and out for a goal-kick.

The Ammies made a couple of substitutions on the hour with Redshaw and Phoenix coming on for Dieseruvwe and McHale. At the same time York introduced Felix Caine in place of Almond.

Whose changes would pay the better dividends? It seemed that the answer to that would be “York City” who were gradually seeing more of the ball and moving it well to put the home side under pressure.

Morgan-Smith was still causing problems and his cross from the left was falling towards Bencherif at the far post until Hogan got up to glance the ball away from immediate danger. The Minstermen were threatening again in the 66th minute as Bencherif turned a pass back inside Salford’s crowded area for Morgan-Smith to hit a low 12-yarder that had Crocombe diving to the right, palming the ball away as he did so. Bencherif got there first but from a very acute angle could only drill a low effort wide of the far upright.

Salford’s defence had plenty to occupy them at this stage and York substitute Caine latched onto a lobbed pass down the right before getting into the area and hitting an angled effort high over the bar. This time the Ammies countered and Allen’s burst of pace took him into the box on the left and to the line. The lofted cross dropped just beyond the far post where Redshaw somehow managed to hook in an effort that came back off the front of the crossbar before being cleared by a defender.

A great effort from Salford’s top-scorer that deserved better but the tie had definitely burst into life now. Redshaw tried again within a minute or two of his near miss but from 20 yards out and left-of-centre he lifted a right-footed effort over the bar.

The action was coming thick and fast and for York Newton’s throw from the left caused a degree of confusion in the home defence. Parkin swung at air first but got another chance, this time hitting a 10-yard snapshot just wide of Crocombe’s left-hand post. The visitors were soon pressing again and after Maynard’s header fell for Whittle he was unable to keep a volley down.

The Ammies were seeing less of the ball in the final third but looked likely to score whenever they did get forward. With 17 minutes to play substitute Phenix cut inside from the left before letting fly with a low effort that Worsnop had to push away to his right and the keeper then smothered Shelton’s pacy low cross back in.

It seemed only a matter of time until one of these two sides edged ahead and in the 75th minute Newton tried a shot from the left that bounced its way into the box before being partially cleared. Theo Wharton was on the end of that one but couldn’t keep his shot from the edge of the box down enough to trouble Crocombe. Maynard picked up possession from the goal-kick then hit a great ball forward that allowed Allen to break into space through the inside right channel. A nicely directed finish across Worsnop nestled inside the far post but Allen had already been penalised for handball during the build-up and was denied a first goal of the season.

What had been something of a dull game before the break had now become a succession of attacks, with each side taking its turn to find a winner. York’s Whittle passed to the left for skipper Newton to cut inside before hitting an effort that Crocombe grasped just underneath his crossbar.

With 9 minutes to go Whittle had a pop himself after collecting Parkin’s squared pass from the right. The full-back hit a swerving left-footed effort that flashed not too far outside the right-hand angle of Crocombe’s post and bar.

Salford brought on Dudley for Allen after that but York were again getting themselves on top as the clock ran down. Parkin’s pass to the left found Newton who advanced before whipping in a cross that dropped beyond the far post. Parkin had continued his run but despite a sliding stretch he couldn’t get a touch before the ball went out for a goal kick.

The Minstermen were knocking at the door and in the 85th minute they scored the goal that would earn them a passage into the next round of the competition. Morgan-Smith’s shot from the edge of the box had not been particularly well hit and seemed to be heading to Crocombe until the ball spun off PARKIN's foot then between the grounded keeper and his right-hand post. A slice of luck for York but once again Parkin had popped up at the right time and in the right place.

As you might expect Salford threw men forward in an attempt to rescue an FA Cup campaign that was in real danger of floundering at the first hurdle. Equally predictably the Minstermen got bodies back and slowed play down as much as they could over the time that remained. Shelton’s ball into the edge of the box was chested back to him by Nottingham and the former Alfreton man got to the line on the right before lofting in a cross that was plucked out of the air by Worsnop.

In the second of four added on minutes York’s defence cleared their lines as far as Maynard, who from 25 yards out and right-of-centre hit an absolutely ferocious rising drive that burned through Worsnop’s hands before crashing against the bar and dropping back into play. Dudley did his best to get there first but the York keeper got in bravely to smother the loose ball.

A third strike of the woodwork for Salford but there were to be no more as the referee’s whistle brought a breathless second half to an unhappy end from the Ammie point of view.


A very disappointing result for Salford although overall they had probably done enough to merit another chance at Bootham Crescent in midweek. An uninspiring first half had ended with the Ammies taking the lead but they could not build on that advantage.

Both sides improved after the interval, at least in attacking terms, with York seeing a lot of the ball and working a number of promising situations. Crocombe was tested relatively rarely however while at the other end Salford managed to hit the woodwork on three occasions – all of them excellent efforts on goal.

A key moment has to be Piergianni’s header hitting the bar just before Parkin equalised – had the big defender’s effort gone in it might well have been the Ammies preparing for a third qualifying round tie in two weeks’ time.

It’s frustrating that after 3 impressive league outings the level of performance dropped for an FA cup match but as far as Salford City are concerned the 2017-2018 competition has been consigned to the history books. The FA Trophy offers another opportunity to progress in a national cup competition but otherwise – even of the wound is still a bit raw for clichés – we can now focus on the National League North campaign.


SALFORD CITY (Red/white/white):

2) Mark Shelton
3) Liam Hogan (c)
4) Scott Burton
5) Carl Piergianni
6) Michael Nottingham
7) Richie ALLEN
8) Lois Maynard
10) Dom McHALE
11) Josh ASKEW

12) Ibou Touray
14) Jake Beesley
15) Anthony Dudley (for ALLEN, 75th min)
16) Mike PHENIX (for DIESERUVWE, 60th min)
17) Jack Redshaw (for McHALE, 60th min)
19) Tony Aghayere (gk)

Booked: McHALE

YORK CITY (White/blue/red):

2) Josh LAW
5) Daniel PARSLOW
7) Sean NEWTON (c)
8) Simon HESLOP
11) Louis ALMOND

15) Kaine FELIX (for ALMOND, 60th min)
16) Connor SMITH
17) Aaron HASWELL
18) Luke SIMPSON
19) Jasseem SUKAR

Booked: Bencherif, Heslop

Referee: Mr. Thomas Kirk
Assistants: Mr. Michael Andrews, Mr. Mark Ryan

Attendance: 1,350

Key moments

Goal Liam Hogan scores for Salford City Football Club
Goal Goal for York City
Goal Goal for York City


View 0 new events
85:00 Goal 1 - 2
Goal for York City
75:00 Sub Off
Richard Allen is substituted off for Salford City Football Club
75:00 Sub On
Anthony Dudley is substituted on for Salford City Football Club
60:00 Sub On
Michael Phenix is substituted on for Salford City Football Club
60:00 Sub On
Jack Redshaw is substituted on for Salford City Football Club
60:00 Sub Off
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe is substituted off for Salford City Football Club
60:00 Sub Off
Dominic Mchale is substituted off for Salford City Football Club
54:00 Goal 1 - 1
Goal for York City
End of period 1
44:00 Assist
Mark Shelton makes an assist for Salford City Football Club
44:00 Goal 1 - 0
Liam Hogan scores for Salford City Football Club
21:00 Yellow Card
Dominic Mchale is yellow carded for Salford City Football Club
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Salford City Football Club
  • York City
  • 0
  • Dominic Mchale Yellow Card 21:00'
  • Liam Hogan Goal 44:00'
  • Mark Shelton Assist 44:00'
  • Goal 54:00'
  • Michael Phenix Sub On 60:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Sub On 60:00'
  • Emmanuel Dieseruvwe Sub Off 60:00'
  • Dominic Mchale Sub Off 60:00'
  • Anthony Dudley Sub On 75:00'
  • Richard Allen Sub Off 75:00'
  • Goal 85:00'

Team selection

Crocombe, Maxime Crocombe, Maxime
Hogan, Liam Hogan, Liam
Piergianni, Carl Piergianni, Carl
Maynard, Lois Maynard, Lois
Nottingham, Michael Nottingham, Michael
Askew, Joshua Askew, Joshua
Burton, Scott Burton, Scott
Shelton, Mark Shelton, Mark
Mchale, Dominic Mchale, Dominic
Dieseruvwe, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Emmanuel
Allen, Richard Allen, Richard
Salford City Football Club


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors