Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Salford City Football Club


1st Team - Match centre

Salford City
Kidderminster Harriers
J Redshaw (47', 51', 80')
Full time
Sat 19 Aug 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - National League North Attendance 1,320

Red Hot Redshaw Carpets Kiddy

Second half substitute Jack Redshaw scored a hat-trick as the Ammies repeated last season's 3-0 win over Kidderminster Harriers




1-0 Jack Redshaw (47th min)
2-0 Jack Redshaw (51st min)
3-0 Jack Redshaw (80th min)

A couple of minutes before half-time this was turning into a match marked by endeavour without a spark, but genuine excitement finally arrived in the form of a handball decision, a mini-brawl and a Kidderminster penalty saved by home keeper Max Crocombe. No goals, but that last couple of minutes had given the crowd something to talk about during the interval. By the time the teams emerged for the second half Salford had introduced a substitute and after half-a-dozen more minutes he’d scored twice to give the Ammies what would prove an unassailable lead. There was an inevitability about the hat-trick goal and it duly arrived with 10 minutes to play…step forward to collect richly deserved accolades Mr. Redshaw.

There was a single change from the side that started Tuesday evening’s win over Stockport County as Mike Phenix made way for fit again Mani Dieseruvwe and the tall striker would play a vital part in the demise of his former side.

Another quite typical Salford summer’s day, with gusts of winds, showers and even occasional glimpses of sunshine. The weather was doing its best to provide some entertainment but for a while the match struggled to follow suit.

The first opening of the afternoon fell for Dieseruvwe but he failed to hit the target with a shot from the edge of the penalty area. The pace of the game was lively enough early on but neither defence looked likely to develop the shakes, so chances were not numerous.

The Ammies had more of the attacking possession but their visitors had the potential to break quickly and in the 7th minute Manny Sonupe made ground at speed on the right. The former Northampton Town winger’s low delivery was decent too, but the path of the ball took it behind James McQuilkin and a little too far ahead of Joe Ironside.

Salford built cleverly in the 13th minute when Ibou Touray found Lois Maynard,who threaded a great ball into the right-hand side of the box for Richie Allen to chase. The angle was difficult so Allen elected to play a low, square pass inside but the incoming Dieseruvwe couldn’t get there in time.

There was, of course, no shortage in terms of graft and intent but both sides were yet to ignite their afternoon. On the quarter hour Dieseruvwe, berated by the Harriers fans behind the goal, slid a pass to the left for Touray and he got to the line before aiming a low ball at the near post. Allen got there but was closed down at speed by Ryan Croasdale whose block took the ball behind for a corner. Within a further 60 seconds Dieseruvwe turned smartly inside Harriers’ territory only to be stopped in his tracks by a solid Kennedy Digie challenge on the edge of the box.

There was a similar incident at the other end a couple of minutes later as Elton Ngwatala’s pass to the right sent new signing Dan Bradley away on a run. He too tried a low cross to the near post but Liam Hogan made sure he got there before Ironside.

Back at the school end Anthony Dudley’s pass gave Touray the opportunity to cross but Harriers’ keeper Brandon Hall picked that one out of the air. The former Nantwich wing-back won and delivered a corner a few minutes later only for Liam Hogan’s shot to be deflected over the bar.

Kidderminster produced another promising foray in the 28th minute as Joel Taylor broke clear on the left but Sonupe couldn’t get on the end of his cross. The visitors were seeing more of the ball now and won a free-kick wide on the left, with this one aimed towards the far post by McQuilkin. A Harrier head nudged that one forward and Crocombe had to actly smartly to gather before Digie could get to the ball.

This was Kidderminster’s best spell so far and after Ngwatala’s short pass to McQuilkin the Scottish midfielder's ball out to the left was collected by Bradley. Recently signed from AFC Fylde for £75,000 Bradley dropped a cross beyond the far post and although Sonupe collected the visitors couldn’t work a real opening. Soon afterwards Ngwatala tried his luck from distance but the ball was deflected through to Crocombe who dealt with it comfortably.

So far this had been a half of ‘nearly’ when it came to good football and clear-cut chances but the quiet came to an end during the half’s final minute. A neat pass through the left sent Sonupe into the area but Hogan put in a well-timed challenge. That seemed to be job done but the referee adjuged that the Salford skipper had played the ball with his arm while grounded after the challenge and pointed to the penalty spot. The decision was hotly contested by Salford and a multi-player altercation ensued as members of both sides debated the rights and wrongs of the case. Having previously booked Salford’s Dudley for kicking the ball away the referee handed out two yellows to each side in the aftermath of the argy-bargy. We still had the penalty to come and in front of the home supporters Ironside seemed to be a touch nervous as he waited to take the kick. In the event he could only sidefoot a low effort to Crocombe’s left with Salford’s keeper dropping down to stop and hold onto the ball.

Kidderminster seemed determined to make up for that disappointment, winning a corner on the left that was delivered beyond the far post by McQuilkin. Nobody could get a touch in the middle and Sonupe was stretching as he volleyed high and wide from a pretty tight angle.
A spot of excitement at the end of a relatively quiet half, but the second 45 minutes would provide much more in the way of fireworks…


When the teams came out for the second half Dudley - struggling with a tweaked hamstring - had been replaced by Redshaw and within 2 minutes Salford had the lead. Dieseruvwe closed down Harriers’ defender Liam Daly, coming away with the ball and sliding a pass into the path of REDSHAW on the right. The nippy striker has yet to start a league game during his second spell with the Ammies but showed no signs of rustiness as he directed a cool finish across Hall and in off the far post.

A little touch of quality in the right area of the pitch can turn matches on their head and Redshaw provided another just 4 minutes later. Dieseruvwe did well again, galloping into space on the right before crossing low and square into the 6-yard box. Redshaw had plenty of defensive company but used his nous and strength to hold off his man then extend a left foot to deftly divert the ball away from Hall and inside the far post.

Another great finish and suddenly the Ammies were firmly in the driving seat.

The home side continued to press after Redshaw’s double salvo and in the 56th minute a throw from the right found its way through to Touray on the far side but his half-volley flew high over the target.

Last season Kidderminster conceded three second half goals on their visit to Moor Lane without managing to muster much of response. Could they do better this time? They certainly looked game to have a go for a while and could have trimmed the deficit with 61 minutes played.

Ngwatala did well to turn away from Hogan before playing a pass into the edge of the box and Sonupe was a touch unlucky as the ball just began to run away from him, resulting in a shot that ran straight through to Crocombe. Salford countered immediately and Redshaw pounced onto a loose pass before advancing on a left-of-centre run that took him to the edge of the box. This looked like the hat-trick but the substitute’s rising effort crashed onto the bar before dropping over and out of play for a goal-kick.

A third goal there would almost certainly have meant game over for Kidderminster but as it was they were still in with a shout. Bradley was the next to try his luck hitting a 25-yarder from right-of-centre but he couldn’t keep the effort down. Andre Brown came on for Sonupe and his first contribution was to attack Carl Piergianni on the Harriers’ right. The Salford defender did enough to prevent Brown from cutting inside and he tried an effort from the angle of the box that rose high over the crossbar.

Some encouragement for the travelling supporters gathered behind Crocombe’s goal but it was Salford who went close again next. This time Redshaw was the architect, using the old strength and guile combination to turn – apparently effortlessly – away from 2 opponents on the halfway line and wide on the right. A beautiful lofted cross-field pass was the next course on the Redshaw a-la-carte menu and Allen was the recipient, cutting inside only to fire over from the edge of the box.

This was not looking likely to be Kidderminster’s day but midway through the second half Bradley’s diagonal run from left to right ended in a low, angled shot that went wide of the far post.

The visitors were largely being restricted to efforts from distance and one of the better ones came from Ngwatale with 20 minutes left to play. After moving through the inside left channel the Frenchman tried a 25-yard effort that didn’t quite dip sufficiently to trouble Crocombe.

The Ammies brought on Mark Shelton and Mike Phenix for Burton and Dieseruvwe and as the game entered its final 15 minutes and it appeared that their opponents had run out of steam. There was still the small matter of Jack’s third goal to settle however and that job was ticked off in the 80th minute. Jake Beesley’s pass up the right flank was tailor made for Phenix who beat the offside trap to spring away down the wing. He had already looked up to see Redshaw peeling away towards the far post and having got nearly to the line last season’s top-scorer obliged with a low cross that was converted from a few yards out. Kidderminster had been sliced apart and a great piece of unselfish play from Phenix gave Redshaw a hat-trick that had been on the cards for half an hour.

Three could have become 4 a few minutes later after Allen’s low pass to the right gave Beesley ample opportunity to press forward. The invitation was accepted and Beesley beat a challenge, did well to keep the ball in and then drilled a low cross to the near post. Phenix was on hand but couldn’t wrap his foot around the ball sufficiently and the effort flashed wide of Hall’s left-hand upright.

Redshaw looked to threaten again next but after he latched onto a ball down the left a debatable offside decision deprived him of the chance for a 4th goal of the afternoon.

Kidderminster continued to look for openings but none were to present themselves and the referee’s whistle brought their frustrating afternoon to an end.


Once again there were some very good performances from Salford but with due respect to those players it was the craft and finishing ability of Jack Redshaw that pushed them over the finishing line. Three well taken goals that say everything about the Salfordian striker’s strength, anticipation, pace and that most precious of knacks – putting the ball into the net. He was ably assisted by his attacking colleagues of course with a couple of assists from Mani Dieseruvwe against his old club and one from Mike Phenix who put in a quality shift after being introduced during the second half.

At the other end the defence continues to gel and they limited a talented Kidderminster to a few efforts from long range, with keeper Crocombe having few saves to make other than that crucial penalty on the stroke of half-time.

The Ammies are quickly developing into a formidable unit and with a full complement of attacking players to choose from have enough firepower to worry any team in the division. Despite an uneven start to their own campaign Kidderminster would expect to be in the mix come April but during the second half they were made to look ordindary.

The frantic start to the season continues as Salford travel to Spennymoor next Saturday then host Southport on Bank Holiday Monday – neither is easy but the Ammies need fear no-one.


SALFORD CITY: (Red/white/white):

2) Liam Hogan (c)
3) Carl Piergianni
4) Scott Burton
5) Michael Nottingham
6) Lois Maynard
7) Jake Beesley
8) Richie ALLEN
10) Anthony Dudley
11) Ibou Touray

12) Tony Aghayere
14) Mark Shelton (for BURTON, 74th min)
15) Dom McHALE
16) Mike PHENIX (for DIESERUVWE, 74th min)
17) Jack Redshaw (for DUDLEY, half-time)

Booked: Dudley, Hogan, Burton

KIDDERMINSTER HARRIERS (Yellow and Black/Black and red/Black):

1) Brandon HALL
2) Tyrone WILLIAMS
3) Joel TAYLOR
4) Ryan CROASDALE (c)
5) Liam DALY
6) Kennedy DIGIE
7) Manny SONUPE
8) James McQUILKIN
10) Elton NGWATALA

12) Andre BROWN (for SONUPE, 62nd min)
14) Declan WEEKS
15) Sam AUSTIN (for McQUILKIN, 80th min)
16) Cieron KEANE
17) Jean-Michel JOACHIM (for IRONSIDE, 74th min)

Booked: Taylor, Bradley

Referee: Mr. David UNDERWOOD
Assistants: Mr. Ed DUCKWORTH & Mr. Darren ROGERS

Attendance: 1,320

Key moments

Goal Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
Goal Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
Goal Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City


View 0 new events
89:00 Clean Sheet Bonus
Maxime Crocombe keeps a clean sheet for Salford City
80:00 Goal 3 - 0
Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
80:00 Assist
Michael Phenix makes an assist for Salford City
74:00 Sub On
Mark Shelton is substituted on for Salford City
74:00 Sub On
Michael Phenix is substituted on for Salford City
74:00 Sub Off
Scott Burton is substituted off for Salford City
74:00 Sub Off
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe is substituted off for Salford City
51:00 Goal 2 - 0
Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
51:00 Assist
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe makes an assist for Salford City
47:00 Goal 1 - 0
Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
47:00 Assist
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe makes an assist for Salford City
46:00 Sub On
Jack Redshaw is substituted on for Salford City
46:00 Sub Off
Anthony Dudley is substituted off for Salford City
End of period 1
44:00 Yellow Card
Scott Burton is yellow carded for Salford City
44:00 Yellow Card
Liam Hogan is yellow carded for Salford City
44:00 Saved Penalty
Maxime Crocombe saves a penalty for Salford City
43:00 Yellow Card
Anthony Dudley is yellow carded for Salford City
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Salford City
  • Kidderminster Harriers
  • 0
  • Anthony Dudley Yellow Card 43:00'
  • Liam Hogan Yellow Card 44:00'
  • Scott Burton Yellow Card 44:00'
  • Maxime Crocombe Saved Penalty 44:00'
  • Anthony Dudley Sub Off 46:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Sub On 46:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Goal 47:00'
  • Emmanuel Dieseruvwe Assist 47:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Goal 51:00'
  • Emmanuel Dieseruvwe Assist 51:00'
  • Mark Shelton Sub On 74:00'
  • Michael Phenix Sub On 74:00'
  • Scott Burton Sub Off 74:00'
  • Emmanuel Dieseruvwe Sub Off 74:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Goal 80:00'
  • Michael Phenix Assist 80:00'

Team selection

Crocombe, Maxime Crocombe, Maxime
Piergianni, Carl Piergianni, Carl
Hogan, Liam Hogan, Liam
Nottingham, Michael Nottingham, Michael
Beesley, Jake Beesley, Jake
Touray, Ibou Touray, Ibou
Maynard, Lois Maynard, Lois
Burton, Scott Burton, Scott
Allen, Richard Allen, Richard
Dieseruvwe, Emmanuel Dieseruvwe, Emmanuel
Dudley, Anthony Dudley, Anthony

League round up

Team sponsors


Club sponsors