Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Salford City Football Club


1st Team - Match centre

Salford City
York City
L Hogan (22', 50'), J Redshaw (26')
Full time
Unknown (84', 90')
Sat 21 Oct 15:00 - The Vanarama National League - National League North Attendance 1,874

Ammies Weather Storms to See Off York

A brace from skipper Liam Hogam plus a sweet Jack Redshaw strike were enough - just - for the Ammies as they saw off a late York revival plus storm Brian





1-0 Liam Hogan (22nd min)
2-0 Jack Redshaw (26th min)
3-0 Liam Hogan (50th min)
3-1 Louis ALMOND (84th min)
3-2 Aidan CONNOLLY (90th min)

The first game since Moor Lane was rechristened as The Peninsula Stadium was to produce a fair amount of excitement, especially during the final 10 minutes. Until then it seemed that the Ammies would secure a fairly straightforward win on an afternoon when they had largely been the better side. A brace from skipper Liam Hogan and a great finish from Jack Redshaw had put Salford 3 up after 50 minutes of play but the Minstermen could have snatched the unlikeliest of points after laying siege to the home goal during the game’s closing stages.

There were a couple of changes to the line-up that started the defeat to Leamington a couple of weeks ago with the injured Lois Maynard replaced by Mark Shelton and Richie Allen stepping in for Josh Askew.

The weather had a wild and windy look about it right from the start but Salford were soon on the front foot, keen to extinguish those Leamington memories. Three early corners were won and from the last of these Anthony Dudley’s delivery from the left had to be punched clear by on-loan keeper Bailey Peacock-Farrell. Set-pieces would certainly pay off for Salford before the afternoon was over but their first decent opening came from a smart sequence of open play. Ibou Touray’s ball inside from the left was controlled by Richie Allen who spun away from his marker before getting in a low, angled shot that Peacock-Farrell deflected behind at the near post.

York’s first sight of goal came in the 10th minute as Sean Newton launched a long throw-in from the right. Amari Morgan-Smith got up to flick on a header but he was under pressure and home keeper Max Crocombe was able to make a routine save. The Minstermen went rather closer 5 minutes later after Alex Whittle’s lobbed pass sent David Ferguson on a run into the left-hand side of the penalty area. The former Darlington man lifted an angled effort over Crocombe only to see the ball come back off the inside of the far upright. Salford couldn’t clear the danger but when Newton picked up possession he could only run the ball out of play.

The visitors were soon on the offensive again and Jon Parkin’s short pass into the left-hand side of the box set up a chance for James Gray. A decent opportunity but the York number 11 snatched at it a little and lifted a 16-yard effort over the crossbar.

York were looking dangerous but that 5 minute spell would be as good as their first half got. Salford cranked up the pressure at the other end of the pitch and were rewarded with a goal in the 22nd minute. Touray’s delivery of a deep free-kick from the right was a good one and Michael Nottingham’s header down fell nicely for HOGAN whose low finish from a yard inside the right-hand angle of the 6-yard box opened the afternoon’s scoring.

Within another 5 minutes Salford doubled their advantage in file style after Redshaw took possession of the ball, outside the box and well left-of-centre. There seemed to be relatively little danger for York but REDSHAW hit an effort that deceived Peacock-Farrell as it curled away from him and inside his right-hand upright.

A sweet finish for the former Blackpool striker’s sixth of the season and the Ammies were very firmly in the driving seat.

York needed a quick response and nearly found one just before the half-hour. Newton’s free-kick from around 30 yards out and wide on the right was caught by the strengthening wind and Crocombe had to move quickly to his left in order to make the save. Nine minutes before time the Minstermen won another free-kick but from 20 yards out and slightly left-of-centre Parkin’s effort ballooned high over the crossbar.

Salford had done their damage from set-pieces and York almost had some success from one of theirs in the 41st minute. Josh Law’s delivery from a free-kick from wide on the left dropped just beyond the far post but Danny Parslow was off-balance and could only place a close-range effort into the side-netting.

A game that had yielded a fair few free-kicks so far saw its first yellow card just before half-time as York’s Simon Heslop was booked for blatantly tugging back Scott Burton.

There was time for one more chance after that and it went the way of York as Law’s corner from the right dropped into the penalty area. Gray got up to meet it and his 8-yard header from a central position was on course to drop under the bar until Crocombe managed to tip the ball over for another corner.

That one was cleared without too much fuss and Salford went into the half-time interval with a formidable looking two goal lead.


The 500 plus York City fans gathered in the East Stand might have expected their side to press forward at the start of the second half, but they were to be disappointed. It was Salford who made the early running after the restart and the visiting defence was soon being tested. First Dudley and then Touray cut inside from the right to have a shot, with both efforts deflecting off York defenders and behind for corners. From the second of these Touray’s left-footed delivery from the right dropped to the far post where HOGAN popped up again amidst a crowd to prod the ball past Peackock-Farrell.

Even though there were still 40 minutes to play Hogan's second goal of the afternoon seemed to have put the seal on a solid Salford City victory. That wouldn’t turn out to be the case but for the moment the best York could conjure was a Gray effort from the edge of the box that went straight to Crocombe.

Visiting manager Martin Gray brought on couple of substitutes in an attempt to reinvigorate his side’s attacking options. Despite that the momentum remained with Salford for a while and Mike Phenix bundled his way into the box from the right then got past Whittle before hitting a powerful effort well wide of the far post. Shelton’s short pass inside set up Phenix on the edge of the box a couple of minutes later but this time his low snapshot went straight to Peacock-Farrell.

York made their final substitution after that with Salford managers Anthony Johnson & Bernard Morley weighing in with a couple of their own as the game seemed to be gently winding down to its conclusion. Storm Brian had become an increasingly naughty boy as the game progressed and the combination of gusting winds and driving rain made intricate passing football a real challenge. The Minstermen were doing their best to carve out chances but Salford’s defence was holding impressively firm and at this point there didn’t seem to be any way back for the visitors.

The points could have been wrapped up with a bow on 75 minutes after substitute Jake Beesley marked his introduction with a low cross from the right. Redshaw was on the end of that one and he controlled the ball consummately, turned sweetly then lifted a 15-yard effort over the crossbar.

Redshaw’s personal frustration at this spurned chance was obvious but with time draining steadily away it didn’t seem particularly important in terms of the outcome. The Ammies went close again with 8 minutes left after Allen won a challenge inside the York half then fed substitute Mani Dieseruvwe whose low 25-yarder had Peacock-Farrell getting down to his left to make a good save.

Salford’s supporters were contemplating a journey home insulated against the horrible weather by the warm glow of a comfortable victory, but York City were planning a final late assault. In the 84th minute a corner from the left was just about scrambled clear by Salford but York substitute Aidan Connolly got in to hit a rising drive from the right-hand angle of the box. Luck was against him as the ball smacked against Crocombe’s left-hand post but the Minstermen kept the pressure on. Within seconds another substitute, LOUIS ALMOND'S drilled in a low, angled drive from 25 yards on the right and that fine strike beat Crocombe on its way inside his right-hand post.

A consolation goal for York but their travelling support scented something more and roared their team on to greater efforts. For the first time this afternoon the Ammies looked shaky and their lead could have been trimmed even further just 2 minutes later. Parkin, with back to goal and inside the box turned a pass to the right into the path of Law whose rising drive came back off the face of the crossbar. Another of the York subsitute’s, Adriano Moke got onto the loose ball but his attempt to clip home from the left flicked off a Salford defender and out for a corner.

Nervous times for Salford and their fans and they were jangling even louder after York capitalised on their late dominance to score a second goal. A beauty it was too as a spell of possession ended with CONNOLLY – who had been very lively since coming on – hitting a 25-yarder from right-of-centre with real venom. The rising effort gave Crocombe no real chance as it whistled inside his left-hand upright and suddenly York were within sight of a point, having seemed out-for-the-count just a few minutes previously.

Fortunately the Ammies managed to shut up shop a little after that, keeping possession quite well and holding their opponents at reasonable arm’s length. York pushed and probed but after a Newton throw from the left had been cleared the referee’s whistle brought a game that had turned breathless to an end. Sighs of relief from everyone in the Salford camp but they could not be heard over the cheers and howling Sou'-Sou' Westerlys.


Obviously there are plenty of positives to take out of this game from Salford’s point of view. For most of this game the Ammies were on top – they were sharper and better organised and seemed to want the win more. The final 10 minutes will underline the importance of retaining focus and concentration because make no mistake York were not too far away from snatching a point that had looked beyond them since midway through the first half. Five goals conceded over two home games will be a concern too.

Overall though a good win – the second time Salford has come out on top in clashes –vs- York this week – and one that sets up us up for tricky trips to Bradford and Boston over the next 10 days.


SALFORD CITY (Red/white/white):

2) Michael Nottingham
3) Ibou Touray
4) Scott Burton
5) Carl Piergianni
6) Liam Hogan (c)
7) Anthony Dudley
8) Mark Shelton
9) Mike PHENIX
10) Jack Redshaw
11) Richie ALLEN

12) Josh ASKEW
14) Jake Beesley (for PHENIX, 74th min)
15) Gus MAFUTA (for DUDLEY, 72nd min)
16) Dom McHALE
17) Mani DIESERUVWE (for REDSHAW, 81st min)

YORK CITY (white/blue/red):

2) Josh LAW
5) Daniel PARSLOW
7) Sean NEWTON (c)
8) Simon HESLOP
11) James GRAY

12) Luke SIMPSON
14) Theo WHARTON
15) Aidan CONNOLLY (for MORGAN-SMITH, 59th min)
16) Louis ALMOND (for GRAY, 62nd min)
17) Adriano MOKE (for FERGUSON, 67th min)

Booked: Heslop

Referee: Mr. Leigh DOUGHTY
Assistants: Mr. Richard ASPINALL & Mr. Elliott SWALLOW

Attendance: 1,874

Key moments

Goal Liam Hogan scores for Salford City
Goal Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
Goal Liam Hogan scores for Salford City
Goal Goal for York City
Goal Goal for York City


View 0 new events
90:00 Goal 3 - 2
Goal for York City
84:00 Goal 3 - 1
Goal for York City
81:00 Sub Off
Jack Redshaw is substituted off for Salford City
81:00 Sub On
Emmanuel Dieseruvwe is substituted on for Salford City
74:00 Sub On
Jake Beesley is substituted on for Salford City
74:00 Sub Off
Michael Phenix is substituted off for Salford City
72:00 Sub On
Augustin Mafuta is substituted on for Salford City
72:00 Sub Off
Anthony Dudley is substituted off for Salford City
50:00 Goal 3 - 0
Liam Hogan scores for Salford City
50:00 Assist
Ibou Touray makes an assist for Salford City
End of period 1
26:00 Goal 2 - 0
Jack Redshaw scores for Salford City
22:00 Goal 1 - 0
Liam Hogan scores for Salford City
22:00 Assist
Michael Nottingham makes an assist for Salford City
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Salford City
  • York City
  • 0
  • Liam Hogan Goal 22:00'
  • Michael Nottingham Assist 22:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Goal 26:00'
  • Liam Hogan Goal 50:00'
  • Ibou Touray Assist 50:00'
  • Augustin Mafuta Sub On 72:00'
  • Anthony Dudley Sub Off 72:00'
  • Jake Beesley Sub On 74:00'
  • Michael Phenix Sub Off 74:00'
  • Jack Redshaw Sub Off 81:00'
  • Emmanuel Dieseruvwe Sub On 81:00'
  • Goal 84:00'
  • Goal 90:00'

Team selection

Crocombe, Maxime Crocombe, Maxime
Nottingham, Michael Nottingham, Michael
Hogan, Liam Hogan, Liam
Allen, Richard Allen, Richard
Piergianni, Carl Piergianni, Carl
Touray, Ibou Touray, Ibou
Dudley, Anthony Dudley, Anthony
Shelton, Mark Shelton, Mark
Redshaw, Jack Redshaw, Jack
Phenix, Michael Phenix, Michael
Burton, Scott Burton, Scott

League round up

Team sponsors


Club sponsors