Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Sandown & Shanklin RFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Gosport & Fareham
Sandown & Shanklin
Sun 28 Mar 15:00 - Friendly Full time

Hurries lose out in tight final

On Sunday the Hurries visited Gosport & Fareham who, only the day before, had confirmed their promotion as league champions with an 85-0 victory.

With both teams in the final having won their respective home league games against each other, this promised to be a tight encounter.

In perfect conditions both teams kicked off wanting to play an expansive game. Hurries took control of the tight play from the first scrummage, against a heavier Gosport pack. For the first 10 minutes the play was concentrated between respective 10 metre lines. The hosts kicking out of defence but full back and VIKOMA man-of-the-match Kern Wales running it back over the gain line.

Then Hurries started to turn it on with strong runs from wingers Daniel Muir and Andrew Gough. Young scrum half Seb Corby broke the defence and fed WIGHTLINK man-of-the-match captain Joe Rees, who was stopped on the line. But again with all the pressure, no points!

The hosts then enjoyed 20 minutes of sustained play in the hurries half. They were awarded a succession of penalties but could only kick one. Dan Muir had a late chance to strike back dashing 20 meters only to be stopped on the line. Half time 3-0.

Seconds from the restart, the hosts strayed offside at a ruck and Will Baxandall kicked the penalty to level the score 3-3. The hosts, realising they could not match the Hurries open rugby, brought on the 'heavy gang'. Plan 'B' began to work with route-one rugby to the Hurries line, and their larger forwards barging over for an unconverted try, 8-3.

The older, more experienced Gosport forwards, began to 'hoodwink' the officials in most of the break downs, forcing play into the Hurries half. Hurries then had a player sin binned. The hosts then added a penalty extending their lead to 11-3.

From the kick off Hurries moved play into the hosts 22 and Baxandall kicked a drop goal, 11-6. Another close in ruck and a barged over try followed for the hosts, 18-3. The hosts were now finding holes in the Hurries defence which had been superb to this point. Another penalty for the hosts taking it to 21-6.

With all subs on, Hurries spurred themselves into life. All the play in the last 10 minutes was in the hosts 22. Scrum after scrum and the hosts 'killing' the ball at every opportunity resulting in a host’s player in the sin bin. Hurries were stopped on the line several times. Eventually the referee gave a penalty try, kicked by Baxandall, FINAL SCORE 21-13.

Hurries from: Harris, Allman, Skelly, Hunter, Healan, Carey, Tolley, Rees, Corby, Baxandall, Edmunds, Muir, Chandler, Wales, Gough, Eldridge, Thomas, Kullick, Bagnall, Wolfenden, Wetherick.

Report by Geoff Giles

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments

Team sponsors


Club sponsors