Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Scunthorpe Rugby Club


U8 - Match centre

Scunthorpe Rugby Club
Selby Festival
Sun 23 Apr 11:00 - Festival Kickoff 11:00

Selby RUFC Festival of Mini Rugby 23rd April 2017

All players showed their true colours and played as part of a well oiled team.

A lovely sunny day for Selby festival where the under 8’s took 2 teams, Scunthorpe Black and Scunthorpe Green.

The Blacks started off on their first of four matches with great pace with Jones K getting two quick tries however Selby Green Team equalised soon after. Jones K bagged another however Selby Green also matched this too. It was Jones I who managed to score from the ball being given to the Blacks due to a Selby Green forward pass. Frary also went over with some good passing by Kyte and Stow. Frary and Quibell also managed a score each however sadly leaving the game at 8-9 to the hosts.
The second match started well, Scunthorpe scoring first with a great run along the wing from Stow quickly followed by York with a straight run from the start to score their first. Try number 2 for Scunthorpe followed fantastic passing through from Kyte to Quibell to Frary back to Quibell, Kyte back to Frary again who passed onto Quibell to score. A loose ball from the restart was picked up by Jones I to give Scunthorpe the ball again. Quick passing from Kyte to Quibell onto Stow who ran through the field to score again. End to end try’s followed with Scunthorpe scoring from Quibell, Jones I and Stow. A forward pass by York gave the ball back to Scunthorpe for another break through which showed another great display of passing from Jones K, to Stow, to Kyte, to Jones I, to Jones K and back to Stow for another try. The referee complimented our boys here on their fantastic team play. Despite persistent tagging by Scunthorpe York pushed through to score their next try. Scunthorpe’s start was passed onto Stow who took the ball all the way to score. Further brilliant tagging from Scunthorpe but York still just managed to just get through to score their final try. The final try of the game came from Jones I for Scunthorpe to win 9 try’s to 6.
Game 3 was quick paced against York A team and again the score went from one side to the other with our scores being put in by Stow (2), Quibell (2) Jones I (3), Frary and Jones K with one score each. The game passed quickly and was a pleasant win at 9-6.
The last game for the Blacks was against Sheffield with Jones I getting two in the first 5 minutes of the game however we fell behind when Jones K received an offside decision which allowed Sheffield to score and bring the totals even. Stow managed a score straight from the referees whistle for play however again, this was equalised soon after. Quibell got a score from a nice pass from Kyte via Jones K and Quibell gained another score when the Blacks managed a 6 tag turnover ball. Jones K also got a score from straight in from the play whistle. Jones I ran half the pitch length but was tagged on the score line however managed to offload to his brother Jones K to get the ball down.
The final score of their last match was an 8-6 win. Overall Scunthorpe Blacks had 3 out of 4 matches in the bag.
The Scunthorpe Greens also got off to a fine start with a try from Proctor with some amazing passing from Carter, Conroy and Wilkinson. York C team equalised however a good run from Conroy with a quick offload to Thornton got us another. York received an offside decision which allowed Murray to pick up the ball and a pass through the team back to Murray to get him over the line.
Proctor got another score quickly followed by a try from Wilkinson. Scunthorpe forced York again into touch and a wide pass by Carter out to Conroy who sneaked through the gap in their line to score. Thornton and Proctor managed another score each and two more from Wilkinson finishing the first match on a fabulous 11-6 win.
Their second game started off magnificently with a quick 6 tag turnover ball being won allowing Proctor over the line twice. The tags were being pulled off left, right and centre for yet another 6 tag turnover ball allowing Proctor over the line again. A loose ball scooped up by Thornton who barged his way through then a quick pass to Conroy who got in the score.
The passing was going great down the line from Murray, Wilkinson, Conroy to Carter who got one in and Conroy also managed another with a long pass from Thornton. The last try of this game being scored by Proctor again with the help of the whole team. Despite the great team play, the opponents managed to keep equalising to ours and on the final whistle the won by a whisker 8-7.
The third game against York C (second game against them) proved a hard start with us falling behind initially but we regained our concentration with a score from Conroy and then another from Proctor to lift the spirits back up. Thornton got a score after a 6 tag turnover ball and Conroy zigzagged down the pitch with an offload to Carter to dodge the opponents to score too.
Conroy managed to intercept a York pass and got it to Proctor to score. Some further lovely passing between Thornton and Murray with a cool dummy pass by Wilkinson got another score down for Thornton. A respectable 6-5 win.
Game 4 against Selby Red was a brilliant watch, Conroy getting a score again from scooping up a loose ball followed by passing from Stow out to Carter who got the ball down too.
Murray managed to score himself after Proctor picked up a dropped ball by the opponents along with Wilkinson quickly passing via Carter to Conroy to score another. Proctor got three more quick tries along with Conroy and Carter also bagged another one each to end on a fantastic 10-7 win.
Scunthorpe Green final game against Selby Gold was nail bitiing with Conroy intercepting the opponents pass to score followed by a score from Carter with fine handling by Thornton, Murray and Wilkinson.
Proctor got a score quickly matched by Thornton too. Despite Proctor getting pushed into touch, we kept our heads and passing between Conroy, Carter out to Proctor allowing him another score.
Conroy passed quickly to Wilkinson who fell right near their try line only to have the ball stolen from his grasp however we came back again with Wilkinson determined to get the ball back off the opponents and passed wide to Proctor to get the final score of the match. Final score was a win at 7-6.
Overall 4 out of 5 wins for the Greens.
All players showed their true colours and played as part of a well oiled team. Some really tremendous passing of the ball and such determination to grab those tags resulting in several 6 tag turnover balls showed how much they wanted to win. Great day out and all came away with medals and a smile!

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.


Loading comments


Club sponsor