Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Shelford Rugby Club app


Colts / U17's - Match centre

Shelford Rugby Club
Sun 6 Jan 11:00 - Cup Full time

First win of 2019

Colts win in the first round of the Eastern Counties cup

The first match of Pool C in the Eastern counties cup saw Shelford colts visit Sudbury, a team they hadn't played for 3 years. Whilst Shelford came away with the win with some very good team tries this felt very much like the first game back after a long break, which it was.

Shelford opened the games pretty well, they retained possession and pressured Sudbury into conceding a number of penalties for offside. The pressure quickly told, with Olly Jury showing good strength to break two tackles and score in the right corner, 0 - 5 after 6 minutes. Sudbury hit back through their big forwards with a converted try, Shelford guilty of complacency in allowing the back into the game. But what Sudbury could do, so could Shelford and they regained the lead with a forwards try of their own, Finn Priddle being driven over, converted by James Gould, 7 - 12 on 29 mins. Shelford then extended the lead moving the ball wide and exploiting the space created for a second from Olly Jury, 7 - 17. Sudbury hit back one the stroke of half time, Shelford's defence looked to have repelled multiple phases on the try line, and when the ball was moved wider a huge tackle dislodged the ball, but unfortunately a quick thinking Sudbury payer hacked through to a vacant in goal area where the chaser beat the convening Shelford defence. 14 - 17 at half time.
The second half started with a long period of stalemate, both teams struggling to understand some the decisions for and against them. Eventually Shelford broke the deadlock, Finn Priddle producing a great off load out the tackle on half way for Rory Webster to take at full pace, stepping the full back and outpacing the chasing defenders, converted by James Gould, 14 - 24 after 17 minutes of the half. Shelford stretched the lead with a well worked team try, James Duffy delving a perfect pass to Jordan Barnes on the left wing who ran round under the posts for the try, converted by James Gould, 14 - 31 and Shelford looking to stretch away. Shelford had Sudbury under lots of pressure by this stage of the game, but little errors kept allowing them back in. Unfortunately, Sudbury pulled a score back, another big Shelford hit dislodging the ball, everyone stopping for the whistle except one Sudbury player who picked the ball up and ran the try in, 19 - 31. Sudbury were being forced to kick to clear their lines, but full back Walter Watson was equal to the challenge, running back numerous poor kicks, and eventually profiting with a try after stepping his way through the disorganised defence, converted by James Gould, 19 - 38 and only a few minutes left. As Shelford pressed for another score in the dying seconds a loose pass was intercepted and Sudbury scored a try on the stroke of full time. 24 - 38. Job done for Shelford.
Shelford squad (Jordan Barnes (1 try), Jack Biard, Toby Carmichael, James Duffy, James Gould (4 conversions), Michael Griffiths, James Groser, Ollie Jury (2 tries), Kai Land, Joe McAdam, Teddy Pope, Finn Priddle (1 try), Alfie Salmon, Tom Sims, Zain Tariq, Walter Watson (1 try), Rory Webster (captain, 1 try)

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: 1x1 rip

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

Team sponsor


Club sponsors