THE EARLY DAYS.
The town of Shepshed, adjacent to Junction 23 of the M1 motorway in North West Leicestershire, has had football teams associated with it since 1879. Whilst many of these teams achieved local recognition over the years, it was with the formation of the Charterhouse club in the mid-1970's, that the name of Shepshed became known nationally.
Between 1978 and 1984, the club rose from the lower reaches of the Leicestershire Senior League to the summit of the Southern League Premier Division, winning seven consecutive promotions (including six successive championship titles) on the way. During this period, they also reached both the semi-final and quarter-final of the FA Vase, as well as the First Round Proper of the FA Cup. Unfortunately the Charterhouse club, then known by its original name of Shepshed Albion, closed down in 1994.