Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Shirebrook Town Football Club


Shirebrook Stun Bolsover With Late Turnaround

9 months ago By sam glover

Match Report by Jamie Griffiths of Derbyshire FA

MOTM Watson
ATT 143

There was a high tempo to the game from the first whistle with both sides going full throttle looking to win, making it a fascinating game. The first major chance of the game came after 17 minutes, as FC Bolsover’s Josh Parfitt burst down the right and stung the hands of the home keeper, Warren Squires, who did well to push the ball away to safety. Squires was again called into action soon after, denying Bolsover the lead by getting down low to get a strong hand to the ball as it was sent towards the bottom corner. Bolsover continued to have the better chances in a tight contest, being thwarted by Squires once more before seeing his effort crash against the post after a finger tip save by Squires as Grant Mitchell surged through on goal down the left.
Shirebrook had found clear cut chances hard to come by at this point, but almost went ahead after half an hour as Watson saw his effort from range tipped over by Simon Dye. The resulting corner was then headed wide. Both sides were to go close to breaking the deadlock before half time. Firstly Shirebrook’s Mark Robinson was denied by a good save from Dye after cutting in from the right, before Bolsover’s Josh Scully tried his luck from distance, narrowly going over the bar.

The second half continued as the first ended, with both sides playing with pace and purpose. Bolsover went close twice in quick succession after the break, firstly being denied by a strong save by Squires before Josh Parfitt fired wide from the edge of the box moments later. Shirebrook had a great chance to go in front in an end to end game when Tate Clarke smashed a freekick into the box from the left, but no one could get a touch on the ball which surely would have seen them take the lead. But it was Bolsover who got the game’s first goal and in spectacular fashion too. Callum Wood picked up the ball just a few yards into Shirebrook’s half before driving forward and picking out the top right hand corner from distance. As the clock ticked on, it looked like that piece of quality was going to be the difference between the two sides. But that wasn’t the case.
Step up Kieran Watson. The Striker had been denied earlier on in the match, but he made his mark in the last few minutes of the game.
In the 88th minute Shirebrook broke behind the defence, working the ball through the inside right channel and drawing the keeper out in order to close down the angle. Substitute Jermaine Jatau, managed to look up and square the ball across the six yard box to Watson who, under pressure, slotted the ball into the back of the net. But the drama wasn’t over just yet. Shirebrook seemed to find an extra gear after that goal, and they turned the game on its head when Watson chased a through ball into the box, nicked it past the advancing keeper and smashed the ball high into the net in added time. That late goal sealed Shirebrook’s place in the second round, where they will now face New Mills at home.

Shirebrook are back at Langwith road this Saturday when Grimsby Borough visit 3pm ko

Shirerbook starting XI Squires Simpson Williams Herbert Timmons Widdowson Robinson (Jatau) Dockwray Brewin Watson Clarke Subs not used Dean Spencer Smith

Updated 20:30 - 4 Oct 2017 by sam glover

Where next?

Grimsby Borough Match Preview Grimsby Borough Match Preview
FC Bolsover Match Preview FC Bolsover Match Preview


Loading comments

5 sports clubs amongst winners in the Jewson Building Better Communities competition.

Sat 28 Apr
1st Team Grimsby Borough
League 1 – 1
Tue 24 Apr
League 2 – 1
Sat 21 Apr
League 2 – 2
Tue 17 Apr
1st Team Hallam FC
League 1 – 1
Sat 14 Apr
1st Team Ollerton Town
League 2 – 1

News sponsors


Club sponsors