Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Skelmersdale United F.C. app


First Team - Match centre

adidas lockerroom
Skelmersdale United
Kendal Town
Sat 15 Dec 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League - West Division Abandoned

Another Abandonment For United

Skelmersdale United A-A Kendal Town

By Simon Driscoll

After torrid weather conditions saw a half-time abandonment last week at Colne, United suffered consecutive abandonments with a serious injury to forward Oliver Van Veen halting a 1-1 draw with Kendal Town.

The visitors had taken a 20th minute lead through Bradley Carroll before United defender John Keatley levelled on 74 minutes but six minutes later, the game was called to an end with around 80 minutes played.

Paul McNally welcomed Terry Smith and Will Dunne back into the starting lineup after recent unavailability while Ronan Darcy was included on the bench after joining on work-experience from Bolton Wanderers.

The first chance of the afternoon came in the eighth minute as Kendal forward Max Brown fired over the bar before a dangerous low cross from Bradley Carroll saw Tom Molyneux clear the danger at the far post and minutes later, Will Dunne sent an effort over the bar at the other end. Kendal opened the scoring on 20 minutes as Jacob Davis collected a through pass and advanced on goal, he squared the ball for Carroll who slotted past Terry Smith for 1-0.

The visitors could have doubled the lead within minutes as a clever run from Mark Buchan saw him pick out Brown who drew a stunning fingertip save from Smith from close range.

Brown drew a low stop from Smith a few minutes later before Dunne forced a similar stop from Stuart Dixon at the other end as did Dave Moore from a central position.

Kendal had a great chance to double their advantage on 35 minutes with Brown collecting a through pass to advance on goal before being denied one-on-one by Smith. United's reply saw Sean Yeldrem's low shot across the goalframe just before half-time.

Buchan swept a free-kick over the target early in the second half ahead of a lofted cross from Louis Keegan finding the head of substitute Oliver Van Veen who headed narrowly over the bar from close range.

United levelled the game on 74 minutes as a free-kick from Dunne cannoned off the wall into the path of John Keatley who slotted past Dixon for 1-1. Kendal came close to restoring the lead within a minute of the restart as Carroll curled an effort towards goal which saw an acrobatic stop from Smith.

Marvin Molyneux fired an effort over the bar before play was halted around the 80 minute mark with Van Veen injured in the centre circle. The delay proved to be a lengthy one with the injury requiring the use of the emergency services and as a result the match was abandoned. Oliver Van Veen was discharged from hospital later in the evening and we wish him a rapid and safe recovery.

Skelmersdale United - Smith (c), Keegan (Banks 68), Griffiths, M.Molyneux, Keatley, T.Molyneux, Yeldrem, Dunne, Douglas (Van Veen 62), Moore, McLoughlin (Darcy 37).Subs notused - Grimshaw, Boden.

Kendal Town- Dixon, Davis, Clarke, Grundy, McDonald (c). Bobby Thomas, Carroll, Akrigg, Buchan (Sambor 63), Harries, Brown. Subs not used- Shearwood, Ben Thomas.

Referee- Mark Ryder
Att- 104.

Look the part with adidas Locker Room

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other West Division results

Runcorn Linnets
Colwyn Bay
Atherton Collieries
Ramsbottom United

League table

# Team Pl Pts
14. Market Drayton Town 24 25
15. Droylsden 20 24
16. Chasetown 25 23
17. Clitheroe 24 20
18. Glossop North End 23 16
19. Kendal Town 23 13
20. Skelmersdale United 24 9

Team sponsors


Club sponsors