Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Stratford-upon-Avon RFC app


1st XV - Match centre

Stratford Upon Avon
Crewe & Nantwich
Sat 16 Apr 15:00 - Midlands Division - Midlands 1 West Full time

Final Match 2015-2016

Fitting win in carnival atmosphere

There was something of a carnival atmosphere at Pearcecroft for Stratford First XV’s last game of the season again Crewe and Nantwich. Both sides were playing for pride and with the Second’s match cancelled there was plenty of noisy support from the touchline for the home side.

Crewe kicked off and both teams got stuck into what proved to be a slightly niggly and fiercely contested game. Less than ten minutes into the match and Stratford conceded a penalty just inside their own half but in a central position. Crewe elected to go for the three points and the ball just made it over, bouncing on the cross-bar on the way. So the visitors had the lead 0-3 for the first, and last, time. Ten minutes after and Stratford struck back with a try from winger Nathan Geekie who just failed to convert his own score.

A few minutes later and Stratford scored again. Breaks down the left by scrum-half Drew Pritchard, and the right by fullback Nick Taylor, had Crewe back-pedalling and scrambling defensively. After a couple of quick phases winger Callum Cook dived over the line for a try in the right-hand corner and the score was 10-3.

Although Crewe pushed hard with strong runs up the centre and clever kicks into the corners, Stratford seemed to retain confidence in themselves throughout. And when Crewe had a scrum in their own twenty-two the Stratford pack cleverly turned the scrum and then pushed it into touch. From the ensuing line-out the Stratford backs worked the ball quickly infield and just as quickly back out again. The Crewe defence seemed bamboozled and a hole opened up for Nick Taylor, coming into the line from fullback, to break through for a score ten metres wide of the posts. Geekie by then had found his kicking boots and converted to put Stratford ahead 17-3.

Stratford seemed to ease off slightly and allowed Crewe to edge back into the match. When Crewe won a penalty deep in the Stratford twenty-two the home side did not react quickly enough when the advantage did not materialise. The quickly taken penalty could not be defended as Stratford players were out of position and Crewe crashed over the line for their first try. Duly converted the score was now 17-10 which was how the first half ended.

Not long into the second half and once again Crewe was threatening the Stratford line. Geekie read a pass though and made a magnificent interception. The winger then sprinted virtually the full length of the pitch to score his second try, a bonus point and a 22-10 score line.

Just minutes later and Crewe closed the gap again. Once more a quickly-taken penalty close to the Stratford line saw the Stratford players spectating as Crewe scored under the posts for another seven-pointer. The only saving grace was Stratford’s discipline in not tackling illegally and risking a yellow card. At 22-17 the score was close but the crowd were still enjoying themselves.

Three minutes later and the visitors went down to fourteen players following a yellow card and Stratford took immediate advantage. From the line-out the pack got very close to scoring but won a five metre scrum instead. The forwards provided quick ball to the backs and, with the extra man advantage, the inevitable gap opened up and fly-half James Southall went through the middle for a score under the posts. Geekie’s conversion was a given and Stratford had a healthier lead at 29-17. And ten minutes later the result was in no doubt when, from turnover ball, Stratford drove their way down the pitch with Callum Cook getting his second try of the match.

Crewe never gave up though and when flanker Liam Jones was given a ten-minute rest by the referee they took advantage. Like a scene from Groundhog Day they used a quickly taken penalty to score from close to the line. With the extra two points from the conversion the score was then 34-24. Despite being a man down Stratford attacked from the restart and worked the ball left and right before an extremely flat pass by flank Jimmy Richardson found its way to substitute centre Jack Young. He used his trademark step to confuse the defence and cut through for a score under the posts and another seven points courtesy of Geekie’s conversion.

Right on full time Crewe managed to shove the Stratford pack back over their own line for a consolation try. The successful conversion was the final act of the game which finished 41-31. Jimmy Richardson was named Man of the Match and was awarded the Dick Workman Cup. Stratford’s closest rivals, Hereford, lost to Silhillians and even with two matches in hand they cannot now catch up. Stratford finished the season third place in the table just two points shy of the play-off place. Stratford and Bournville, who finished in second place, had the same record of played 26, won 18 but Bournville had picked-up just two more bonus points. This has been an excellent season for the club as a whole with all the teams doing well and a really positive spirit throughout. With the strong, well-motivated and well-coached squad everyone can look forward over the summer to another great season that starts in September.

Quilter Kids First Skills Series: Hide the Attacker

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Midlands 1 West results

Stoke on Trent


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
1. Bridgnorth 26 105
2. Bournville 26 92
3. Stratford Upon Avon 26 90
4. Hereford 26 81
5. Worcester Wanderers 26 72
6. Whitchurch 26 65
7. Dudley Kingswinford 25 65

Team sponsors


Club sponsors