BETWEEN THE WARS
The club switched to the Birmingham Alliance League between 1915 and 1919 but the major move forward came in 1920 when they took over the present Coles Lane Central Ground and joined the Sutton and District A.F.L. In the 1921-22 season the admission price to the ground was Adults 4d and Boys 2d.
During this period, although finals of various cups were reached, the trophy cupboard remained bare and at the start of the 1930s the Club was struggling financially.
Gradually the playing fortunes improved but all throughout the 1930s Football League clubs kept on signing Sutton's best players.
In 1935 Holder went to Coventry City,Bassett signed for West Bromwich Albion,Leyton went to Reading and in 1936 goalkeeper Harry Baldwin went to West Bromwich Albion. Perhaps Sutton's greatest player at that time Alf Wood went to Coventry City.
In 1937 it was reported in the papers that " It is a fact that Sutton Town have supplied more professional players during the last few seasons than any other amateur club in the country".
The Club had progressed however and joined the Birmingham Combination - in those days the strongest semi professional league in the Midlands.
It looked as though things were on the up but in 1939 the 2nd World War started and for 7 long years there was no football played at Coles Lane.
The photo is of the 1st team from 1933. It seems it was mandatory in those days for the Committee to wear a hat!