Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Sutton Common Rovers


First - Match centre

Sutton Common Rovers
Bedfont Sports
Sat 11 Feb 15:00 - The Cherry Red Records Combined Counties Football League - Premier Division Full time

First's sent to Bed late

The First team slumped to a disappointing 1-0 defeat at home to Bedfont Sports on Saturday.

Ahead of the game, Darren Salmon made four changes to the side that had lost to Dorking Wanderers in the county cup with Adam Allen, Aaron Bogle, Keano Robinson and Elton Gjoni all coming into the starting line up. Joe Mead and Anson Cousins dropped to the bench, whilst Owen Davies was unavailable.

It was a slow start to the game, with neither side able to take any early initiative, and it wasn't until the fifth minute that either keeper was called into action, when a deep Liam Holden corner was headed goalwards by Dave Burton and turned behind by former SCR man Harvey Cheadle.

A couple of minutes later and a good challenge by Jeff Addo-Dankwa prevented Bedfonts Matt Riggs from getting away, after their had been some confusion in the SCR backline. On 11 minutes we saw another shot on target, when Keano Robinson beat a couple of player and his fierce effort crashed into Michael Campbell, knocking the SCR forward to the floor and leaving him in need of treatment.

Bedfont were causing some problems down the right had side with Kyle Lemon and Gorkan Gurkan involved in a couple of decent tussles with Elton Gjoni and Dave Burton, but despite their efforts there were no chances created and the game remained scoreless.

Midway through the half and Sam Blowers found Campbell but his shot was deflected behind for a corner, from the kick Bedfont broke quickly, and we were grateful to an Addo-Dankwa challenge to clear the danger. Bedfont went close shortly before the half hour when Maxwell Oldham did really well on the right hand side before setting the ball back to Gurkan. His low shot looked to be sneaking into the bottom corner until a toe by Aaron Bogle cleared it for a corner.

From the corner by Paul Johnson, Jamie Richards headed the ball down and Connaugh Wilks flicked effort was gathered by Craig Bradshaw. Lemon then clattered into Campbell and eventually the ball found its way through to Campbell after good work by Jordan Johnson-Palmer, but he dragged his effort across the face of goal.

With ten minutes until the break, Bedfonts excellent Julius Mngadi broke well on the left, beat a couple of players before toe-poking the ball wide of the right hand post. Shortly before half time and Jamie Richards found his way into the book following a poor challenge on Liam Holden.

Sam Blowers crashed an effort from distance against the crossbar on 42 minutes, and the follow up by Campbell was comfortable for Cheadle, at the other end and Gurkan fired over the crossbar, and a disappointing first half ended goalless.

Bedfont started the second half brightly and almost capitalised on confusion between Bogle and Addo-Dankwa, with the ball finding Moody who saw his effort saved by Bradshaw. Campbell saw an effort blocked by Wilks, and then Gjoni fired the loose ball straight at Cheadle.

Burton went into the book on 56 minutes for a foul on the edge of the area, but the free kick game to nothing, and then on the hour Riggs intercepted a misplaced Gjoni pass but fired his effort wide of the right hand post.

Robinson fired in a dangerous low ball but we were unable to find a finish, and at the other end a great run by Gurkan bought a good save with his feet by Bradshaw.

Midway through the half and a good delivery by Bogle found Holden but he could only guide his header wide of the right hand post. It was to be his last involvement in the game as he was replaced by Francois Gabbidon, on his farewell appearance for the club.

With fifteen minutes remaining a Blowers shot was cleared, and at the other end Moody was denied by a great challenge by Addo-Dankwa. We really should have opened the scoring with just under 15 minutes remaining, Robinson found a marauding Addo-Dankwa who skipped beyond a couple of challenges and tried to set up Gabbidon, rather than shooting. The big forward was bundled over and as Bedfont broke quickly, Bogle did well to prevent Moody from getting a shot away.

Campbell then latched onto a Robinson through ball, but although he beat the advancing Cheadle, his shot rolled agonisingly wide of the left hand post, although in fairness the covering defenders may have got back to clear.

With the game seemingly meandering to a dull scoreless draw, the visitors fired home the only goal of the game. Gurkan did superbly on the right, and his low cross was fired home at the back post by Riggs to give the visitors all three points.

We huffed and puffed towards the end but were unable to force any clear cut chances, and the game slipped by giving Bedfont all three points.

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Walton & Hersham
Horley Town
Colliers Wood United
Hanworth Villa
Guildford City
Hartley Wintney
North Greenford United
Camberley Town


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
11. Spelthorne Sports 44 61
12. Knaphill 44 61
13. Sutton Common Rovers 44 59
14. North Greenford United 44 58
15. Colliers Wood United 44 56
16. Guildford City 44 53
17. AFC Hayes 44 51

Team sponsors


Club sponsors