Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Sutton Common Rovers


First - Match centre

Sutton Common Rovers
AFC Hayes
M Campbell (48'), A Allen (55')
Full time
Sat 4 Mar 15:00 - The Cherry Red Records Combined Counties Football League - Premier Division Attendance 60

Allen strikes proves decisive

Goals from Michael Campbell and Adam Allen gave the first team a 2-1 win, in a disappointing encounter with AFC Hayes on Saturday.

As someone once said "football is a funny old game", our performance against Hanworth Villa deserved a point at least, but we ended with nothing, whereas on Saturday, we played for probably 15 minutes, and came away with a 2-1 win.

We could have taken the lead in the opening two minutes, when a tremendous ball by Owen Davies dropped over the AFC Hayes centre half and was collected by Campbell, but he was denied by Cameron Kennedy who was off his line smartly. At the other and neat link up by Rhys Rabees, Sekani McCammon and Kildane Tesfu almost opened us up, but the final ball was delayed and McCammon caught offside.

Danny Fernandez fired a shot high over the crossbar on ten minutes, after neat work on the right by Josh Greenleaf. Campbell could have opened the scoring on eleven minutes, when he latched onto a Fernandez through ball, but was again denied by the keeper, and as the ball broke free, Austin Schofield got back well to block the follow up effort.

Hayes were gradually putting us under more pressure, and after a foul by Keano Robinson on 15 minutes on Rabees, the ball was whipped in, and George Murphy did just enough to prevent Schofield from getting a free header, and at the other end Owen Davies planted a header wide of the left hand post.

Fernandez curled an effort just wide of the left hand post on 20 minutes, and Campbell put a free kick over the crossbar two minutes later.

The game though was generally a very scrappy affair and dull affair with little to warm the hands of the watching crowd. Both sides had efforts around the half hour mark, with Tesfu doing well to prevent a whipped Sam Blowers cross from reaching Campbell, and it was a similar story at the other end, with Murphy doing well to prevent a ball from finding McCammon. Two minutes later and Max Hubbard & McCammon linked up well but were unable to get a shot away.

We were forced into a change on 36 minutes, with Murphy forced off due to a recurrence of a hamstring injury, and he was replaced by the dependable Dave Burton. We were struggling for some reason with the change of personnel, and a decent ball by Tesfu almost found Harry Carter but Craig Bradshaw was out sharply to intercept.

The final action of the half saw SCR almost snatch the lead. A Fernandez ball down the line found Campbell and his low cross was just to far in front of Greenleaf, and the sides went into the break with the scores level after a pretty tepid first half.

After a half time rollicking we came out with renewed purpose, and took the game to AFC Hayes from the off. Neat link up between Fernandez and Campbell almost set up Adam Allen, but he was just unable to get beyond the AFC Hayes backline, but we didn't have to wait much longer for the opening goal. Having seen AFC Hayes's Schofield put a free header wide, we went straight onto the attack and from a long ball forward, Campbell held off the attentions of Schofield and fired low beyond Kennedy into the bottom left hand corner. Despite the Hayes protests for a foul the goal stood.

It was almost 2-0 on 52 minutes, a dipping Fernandez free kick was shovelled wide by Kennedt and Greenleaf was just unable to force the ball home from a narrow angle. Two minutes later though and it was two. Campbell picked up the ball on the left, cut inside Tesfu and Schofield and fire goalwards, where his effort was half saved by Kennedy, with Allen forcing home the loose ball.

AFC Hayes were handed a way back into the game almost immediately, when Keano Robinson was penalised for a foul on Carter handing Hayes a penalty. The spot kick by Hubbard was low to Bradshaw's right but this time off target and the big keeper didn't have to make a save.

Just after the hour and with Robinson and Fernandez bombing forward, we were grateful to the alert Joe Mead for dropping into right back and clearing the danger. AFC Hayes made a couple of changes with Mohammed Ahmadi replacing Hubbard and Nathaniel Mensah replacing McCammon.

Kennedy pulled off an excellent save from a close range Greenleaf volley on 65 minutes, and two minutes later we made a double change with Jay Jones replacing Campbell and Matty Auletta replacing Greenleaf.

Hayes replaced Dan McDonnel with Samn Sillah, on 72 minutes as they looked to find a way back into the game, and they were almost rewarded on 77 minutes, when Carter latched onto a Blowers clearance and his swerving shot forced Bradshaw into a decent save to his left. They didn't have to wait long for a lifeline though as two minutes later Tesfu beat three players in our area before poking under Bradshaw and ensuring it would be a tricky last ten minutes for SCR.

Auletta picked up a great Jones crossfield ball on 82 minutes, and his low cross was well defended by Lawrence Artic and out for a corner. From the corner Allen bundled ball and keeper into the goal, for a free kick. Five minutes from time, and Allen found his way into the book for a foul.

In injury time a good run by Mensah ended with a soft shot that was comfortable for Bradshaw and SCR picked up another three points to move them up the table.

Win a share of £250k for your club

Adam Allen

Player of the Match

Adam Allen

Key moments

Goal Michael Campbell scores for Sutton Common Rovers
Goal Adam Allen scores for Sutton Common Rovers


View 0 new events
90:00 Player of the Match
Adam Allen is awarded player of the match for Sutton Common Rovers
End of period 2
85:00 Yellow Card
Adam Allen is yellow carded for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub On
Jay Jones is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub On
Matt Auletta is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub Off
Josh Greenleaf is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
67:00 Sub Off
Michael Campbell is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
55:00 Goal 2 - 0
Adam Allen scores for Sutton Common Rovers
55:00 Assist
Michael Campbell makes an assist for Sutton Common Rovers
48:00 Goal 1 - 0
Michael Campbell scores for Sutton Common Rovers
End of period 1
36:00 Sub On
Dave Burton is substituted on for Sutton Common Rovers
36:00 Sub Off
George Murphy is substituted off for Sutton Common Rovers
Start of the game
Replay game

As it happened

  • Sutton Common Rovers
  • AFC Hayes
  • 0
  • Dave Burton Sub On 36:00'
  • George Murphy Sub Off 36:00'
  • Michael Campbell Goal 48:00'
  • Adam Allen Goal 55:00'
  • Michael Campbell Assist 55:00'
  • Jay Jones Sub On 67:00'
  • Matt Auletta Sub On 67:00'
  • Josh Greenleaf Sub Off 67:00'
  • Michael Campbell Sub Off 67:00'
  • Adam Allen Yellow Card 85:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other Premier Division results

Camberley Town
Colliers Wood United
Walton & Hersham
Hanworth Villa
Hartley Wintney
Horley Town
North Greenford United


Loading comments

League table

# Team Pl Pts
11. Spelthorne Sports 44 61
12. Knaphill 44 61
13. Sutton Common Rovers 44 59
14. North Greenford United 44 58
15. Colliers Wood United 44 56
16. Guildford City 44 53
17. AFC Hayes 44 51

Team sponsors


Club sponsors