Get involved! Join this website to participate. Join Website
Club Committee Meeting Minutes 03/10/11
SRFC CommitteeVenue: Swindon Rugby Club
Present: K. Bishop (KB), Stuart Cock (SC), Steve Carr (Dooley), Lisa cock (LC),Richard Sorr (RS), Glyn Barrett (GB), Neil Loader (NL).
1.Acceptance of previous minutes (All)
i).Accepted by all present.
2.Matters arising (Secretary)
i). Action Points from last meeting (individual)
SC contact with Club PR Liaison Officer pending.
Storage containers still a problem with tidiness, not a space problem. All agreed that all kit is to be moved to middle container. NL to action.
TEAMA system is now up and running. Details have now passed to team captains. NL still to finalise minor details of operation.
‘Belief’ kit contract now just needs signing and submitting. Dooley/SC action
NL advice on qualified coaches is still work in progress.
Mini’s pitch marking in progress, reference RS.
3.Finance committee update / decisions for approval (Treasurer)
Financial plan club was running to was tight, however even with recent extraordinary pitch expenses club was still running to a forecasted £10k deficit. Year end is still looking at break-even but finances are very tight for particularly over coming 5-6 weeks as quarterly VAT payment is due. Club Running costs will be covered but any extraordinary spending not possible.
Club is to apply to Stratton Parish council for funds towards pitch repairs. RFU have refused support other than a loan that committee feels inappropriate at this moment in time. This facility to be reviewed in six months time.
Bar Pricing review. Dooley recommended this increase now be implemented at 10p on all alcoholic drinks. This is well under the 22% increase passed on from brewery, that club has absorbed as well as VAT increase to 20%. Key factor was to remain at under £3.00 per pint of beer.
As of October 1st the national minimum wage moved to £6.07. Bar manager had proposed bar staff wages increase to preserve current differential from national minimum. Due to economic conditions and restrictions on club spending the Committee agreed to implement national minimum + current differential immediately with review at year end on any proposed further increase in the differential.
Leisure machines retention/change to be reviewed. Currently usage is not covering rental. Proposal was made to review changing fruit machine regularly plus fresh quiz machine, or changing pay out rate on fruit machine. Suggestion was also to task supplier for a more favourable overall financial deal. Dooley is to liaise with Bar Manager on issues and report back decision at next meeting.
Committee would request members to use the club bar after matches and socially as bar prices were highly competitive with local Pubs/clubs and main source of income for the club overall.
NL proposed to get together with Club Captain and team captains to critique how players and the club can organise by way of club events to raise funds.
Club hall was booked for several functions in October which was hoped would provide further income from bar sales.
Disappointment was specifically expressed by all present at the lack of sportsmanship and support by visiting team on Saturday October 1st who brought own alcoholic drinks with them and did not stay after the game to use the club bar or partake of provided food after the game.
4.Coaching committee update / decisions for approval (Head Coach)
NL Coaching committee meeting still pending. NL to progress
NL anxious that work Andy Brookes has done is maintained. On the pitch all the mini’s and juniors results are reflecting the high coaching standards and system now in place.
1st and 2nd team results are also benefitting.
NL advised that the 1st XV are still very much a developing team which made their results to date highly commendable. After only the first five games the team are over half way to a season target of securing a minimum of 40 league points.
NL stated he had no immediate kit or equipment requirement.
5.Development committee update / decisions for approval (Chairman)
Club/Stratton Parish Council have agreed on a 3 year lease on second field. Parish council have agreed to cut the grass (already done twice), and see how close it brings it to a usable condition.
All present agreed that realistically the entire field needs complete re-development to establish a workable and safe playing surface but no funding application or club investment is viable on such a short term lease. The situation is to be monitored ongoing.
No further news from Swindon Council on old Oakfield Campus future use.
WCSoA now has only one item outstanding ref schools/college formal link. SC to progress.
NL to also seek advice from RFU on way forward in light of the limited amount of rugby played by local schools and colleges.
6.Junior committee update / decisions for approval (Junior Chairman)
RS reported back the mini’s line painting to be done 29th October. Expenditure for new balls approved by Dooley.
Food arrangements are still being actioned by RS. Interviews of potential operators are to take place over next month. Several volunteers have come forward.
Dooley advised financial probity needed to be exercised on team food as excessive levels of expenditure had recently been incurred.
Fund raising had been discussed within the group and several ideas put forward for further discussion.
3 x coaching (CPD) courses to be undertaken with London Irish. NL advised these will NOT count to RFU level coaching achievement. However they were deemed worthwhile to be undertaken.
May 6th 2012 tour visit by Salisbury. Meal to be organised at Greenbridge.
7.Progress against club development plan (Chairman)
Plan in place and signed off a week ago. SC to invoke meeting with sector heads and set down 12 month planned actions and reporting back procedure.
SC to action
i). Pitches update.
SC advised all remedial work undertaken and completed. Chain harrowing was NOT undertaken due to dry conditions. Dooley requested we apply for cost reduction off invoice.
Ecosol are to supply a maintenance work schedule for end of season (April 2012). Current ability of club to maintain pitches at required level is questionable and requires complete clarification to ensure the current situation is not repeated. GB proposed a 5 year maintenance plan and budgets put in place as appropriate. Clarification of who does what is also required in regards of club based ground keeping tasks and contractor based maintenance.
ii). Player registration - Senior and Junior
SC requested ALL player registrations be completed and updated with utmost accuracy to prevent repetition of a recent problem. The problem was resolved satisfactorily but the danger to Swindon’s league status and position was under threat. This cannot be repeated.
LC is currently overseeing registrations and already been in contact with Patrick Toogood on all current incorrect details within junior section where there are numerous errors in spellings of names.
LC has also moved previously registered juniors now playing senior rugby into the correct status (A typical example of an error identified that had potential for problems was that ex-junior Cory Lotter had been registered as Cory ‘Loiter’!)
Registration of senior players is decided by head coach and his coaching team. LC would oversee the junior section registrations.SC requested all entries be reviewed and corrected where necessary.
iii). Membership review - Senior and Junior.
Junior’s membership is healthy and fees have been received in a timely manner. 105 children currently paid and listed. Potential of another 60+ membership fees still to be received from junior section.
Senior membership remains problematical. LC advised 34 paid up members are listed (3-4 still not paid up) so only 30 are signed up members currently.
All agreed this was unacceptable as a three team turn out would have up to 60 players and subs selected. SC requested all captains be re-advised of the problem and that payment of membership fees was expected.
SC proposed that a cut off date for membership be instituted after which there would be 10% increase. Meeting noted this would require AGM voting approval.
Meeting agreed Team selection lists to be highlighted with non payers after Captains had been spoken to.
SC advised that going forward membership costs should be based on financial requirement for club to function as a playing club. Membership and match fees have not increased for several years and increases need to be reviewed for 2012 - 2013. Other clubs of a similar level to SRFC should be investigated to identify benchmark fees.
Meeting closed 21.40hrs…next meeting scheduled for Monday November 7th.