It's Seven From Seven As Town March On
• Tamworth travelled to Walsall for their first experience of playing on a 4G artificial surface with the knowledge that although they have all been tight affairs they had not beaten Walsall in the last four outings. A point the hosts were quick to remind them of in the match day program. This served to fire the visitors into putting this record to bed and this they did with some lovely flowing rugby that this type of fast surface allows.
• Tamworth started the stronger of the two teams and went ahead after 9 minutes Dean Smith
crashing over. Danny Norton
converted for a 0-7 lead.
• Walsall were penalised for offside and Norton was accurate with his kick 0-10 and although Tamworth had the lion’s share of possession with Walsall barely getting into Tamworth’s 22 they could not add to the score before the break.
• With rumblings among the travelling supporters whether 0-10 was enough of a lead as Tamworth would have the strong wind in their faces in the second half the visitors had a slight change in tactics keeping the ball in hand rather than kicking into the wind this proved a smart move as they increased their lead 12 minutes into the second period with the strong running Rob Gemmell
making inroads down the wing and a nice pass inside allowing scrum half John Borthwick
to cross for a good score 0-15.
• Walsall did have more possession and forced Tamworth back into their 22 and came close to scoring but the Tamworth defence held strong as the Walsall players despairing lunge for the line came up just short.
• Norton added a further penalty to Tamworth’s total as Walsall infringed on the floor 0-18.
• Then came the try of the game as a Walsall attack broke down Tamworth hit on the counter and swept forward in numbers with Gemmell again causing the home defence problems but as he was tackled just short he somehow managed to get a superb offload to the onrushing Martin Dearne
who was not being stopped from that distance crashing over for the final score of the day to make it 7 wins from 7 outings in the league to move into a 4 point lead at the top.
• Final Score
• Walsall 0
• Tamworth 23