As surely as the modern game of Rugby is a development of a form of recreation which spread from the famous public school of that name, Taunton Rugby owes its origins to its schools. Taunton College School, which came to be known as King’s College, met the Wesleyan College (now Queen’s) in March 1874, and a player called Gillett contributed to their success by a splendid run across the whole length of the ground.
In November of the same year Mr SW Gillett raised a scratch team which defeated the College School and Fullands, a team based on a school which existed for a time in the Shoreditch Road. One of the forwards in the Fullands team was Mr WB Marke, who played for the County in 1877 and captained the Taunton team for a few months in 1878 before leaving the district. Gillett included in his XV Mr J Loveday, who was to be one of the founders of the Taunton team.