TRC Tournament - TitansRFC U14 Match Report
Overview – We combined our 11 players with SCC’s 6 players to form the SCC Titans. Games were 15min long, 10-a-side format
We came 2nd in our Pool and
Game 1 Sat vs Centaurs Archers (Lost 27 – 5)
We weren't switched on, we weren't comfortable with strange players and we were not playing as a team,and we were not aggressive in the rucks. As a result we were playing defensive rugby which is always harder. For about 4 minutes it came together really well, we had Centuars on the backfoot, we were attacking up the middle, round the fringes and out wide and were rewarded with a try
Game 2 Sat vs Malay Ceylon Lions (Won 20 – 5)
Prior to the game we concentrated on a 1v1 counterruck drill that was expanded to 2v2. This seemed to do the trick and the boys were aggressive and won excellent ball they then fed wide.
Game 3 Sat vs Intl School of KL (Won 22-12)
This Game we kept our same warm up and we were playing a lot better from the kick off. What let us down resulting in two conceded tries were isolated runners slow ball out the back line, poor passes and poor tackling
Game 4 Sat vs KL Tigers (Won 17-10)
This game we very nearly lost as we forgot what was working and the same issues in Game 3 crept in again.
Game 5 Sun vs TRC (Lost 22-5)
This was the Cup Semi Final….whoever won this played in the Cup Final, Whoever lost played for 3rd & 4th Position.
The boys had TRC on the ropes for the first 5 minutes then some poor decision making to not go wide fast enough and to keep punching it up the middle along with isolated runner and easy turnovers meant TRC capitalized with quick hands and tries out wide. Towards the end our tackling was woeful resulting in 2 very easy tries
Game 6 Sun vs Jakarta Komodo’s (Lost 10-12)
This was by far the best game of the tournament for us and the boys were unlucky to lose. They tightened up all the areas and played their hearts out. It was 2 tries apiece at the end but unfortunately one of the Komodo’s tries was a super try so that gave them the extra 2 points.
Overall a great result and one the boys can all be very proud of. The improvement in each game was very evident and the boys played well together.
Things the SCC Titans need to work on for future tournaments
- Training together even for just 1 weekend will provide spectacular results, train together for 3-4 weeks before a tournament and we will be as good at TRC or Centaurs
- Tackling, tackling, tackling
- Taking the ball into contact correctly….protect the pill
- Aggression in a maul – learn to really fight for the ball and wrestle it away
- Aggression in a ruck – lifting the oppositions leg and driving
- Quick ball from the scrum
- Better longer passing along the backline, especially having a runner straighten. Too often there was too much sideways running and passing to the next person with no room to more.
- Situational awareness around the rucks and mauls, still too many committing and the last 1 or 2 would be better placed to spread out if defending or get in behind the 1st or 2nd channel for crash ball, support running or 1st man cleanout
Group Moves (can only do this with full squads)
- Scrums. The boys need to exercise restraint on the 1.5m rule.