Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The best way to keep up to date with Waid Academy FPRFC


Waid Academy FPRFC 24 - 27 Kirkcaldy 2nd XV RFC

5 years ago By John Murray

In a tough but great match, Waid went down to a well drilled Kirkcaldy side. Match report here.

Despite the blustery and icy conditions, Waid were appreciative of a large home support who braved the weather to watch the Anstruther men take part in a heated contest against a well drilled Kirkcaldy side at Waid Park on Saturday.

Before the match a large lunch party had witnessed a presentation from the Scottish Rugby Union who presented a special commemorative Quaich to Club president Duncan Fraser, who would later play in the upcoming match, in recognition of the club’s 125th anniversary.

It was then up to the match, which the away side took control of from a very early stage.

Kirkcaldy’s powerful forwards tested Waid, and stormed through after 5 minutes to notch up the first score.

The next try for Kirkcaldy came from their strong number 8, Craig Wilson. Wilson is a former Waid FP who has had great success with Kirkcaldy, having won Premiership Division 2 player of the year and representing the Scotland Club rugby side.

The away side’s try was converted and Kirkcaldy were leading 12 - 0 after only 15 minutes.

Waid remained positive though, and became hungrier for the ball. Young Scrum-Half George Hodge did excellently to regain possession from the opposition, and the work rate from locks Robbie Fleming and Gus Middleton was immense and enabled the ball to move forward. Stand off Kieran Doak eventually got his hands on the ball and exploited a gap in the line making huge yardage. As Doak got caught up in the defence, he offloaded to Centre Allan Drysdale who collected and crashed over the line to give Waid hope of a comeback.

After Waid Flanker Kato Blockley caught the ball after the restart, the stalwart forward went on one of his now trademark commanding runs and shipped to Number 8 Adam Shaw who powerfully blasted towards the try line. His fellow team mates helped push him over the line and Shaw touched down for Waid’s second try of the match.

Regrettably, after a long tough battle between the two packs, Kirkcaldy’s Wilson once again got hold of the ball and, despite the efforts of the Waid defence, drove through the line like a freight train and touched down for his second of the game and the half time whistle was blown with the home side down 17 - 10.

Now Waid were facing a tough second half playing into the wind but were un-phased as Blockley safely collected the ball again from the restart and pushed towards the away team’s line. The Waid pack were now trying their hardest to recycle the ball but it was unfortunately turned over. However, when Kirkcaldy went to clear, a brilliant block by Winger Lucas Miskiewicz meant he gained control and casually danced over the line. He try was converted by Waid’s Kiwi Centre Paul Lindsay and this took the score to 17 apiece.

Waid came close again when Kirkcaldy kicked from their own 22 and was retrieved by Full Back John Murray who darted up the wing but was closed down just short.

Eventually after Kirkcaldy had worked their way back up to the Waid twenty two, it was the home side’s nemesis Wilson who dived over for his hat trick and Kirkcaldy were back on top by five points.

Waid Centres Drysdale and Lindsay worked well on the next play and Drysdale once again burst through and was able to get the ball over the line. Lindsay converted and Waid were now leading for the first time in the game.

Up by two points and only 10 minutes to go, nerves were running high for both teams and everyone on the sideline.

There were spillages from both side but Kirkcaldy were able to make use of an interception to take them inside Waid’s 22 meter line. Waid then infringed and this resulted from a penalty, and who else to get possession and crash over the line than Craig Wilson, to get his fourth try of the day.

The whistle blew and despite disappointment for the home side, the valiant effort resulted in a great advert for rugby.

Captain Adam Shaw said after the game “We’re gutted to come away with the loss, but the lads should hold their heads high. We were missing a lot of key figures and influential players but we never gave up and battled to the end”.

Man of the match was awarded to Waid Full Back John Murray, who is sponsored by Neil Abernethy, Redpath Renovations and TA Murray & Son

Next week, Waid are away to Grangemouth with an earlier kick off time of 1pm.

Where next?

Waid FPRFC v. Grangemouth Waid take on Grangemouth 2s this coming weekend. The match is away and has an earlier kick off of 1pm.


Loading comments

Sat 7 Jan
Waid FP 1st XV Dundee University Medics
League 10 – 19

News sponsors


Club sponsors