It has been a while since I last issued a formal update and summary of all that has been happening albeit there have been almost daily Facebook posts.
The Committee (John Myatt, Mike Thompson, David Holbrow, Peter Bentley and myself) continue to meet on a monthly basis and in fact have just had the July meeting. At today’s meeting we had the excellent news from Mike that we had just received £920.00 funding from WMDC to help us to continue and expand in 2017/8.
We have some targets we are looking to achieve to help justify the funding
• increases in new members,
• increase in number and active participation in sessions
• improvement in general awareness of Wakefield Walking Football through Facebook and the Web.
We have put plans in place to look to achieve these targets
• we currently have 59 members and our lunchtime session average attendance is currently 18 albeit it ranges from 14 - 22 at each session – we keep striving for the magic number of 24 to enable 4 teams and allow us to use 2 pitches!
• we are trialling Tuesday night sessions - the Tuesday average after 4 sessions is 14 (range 20-10) and we intend sending a reminder on Facebook before the session to help us gauge how many people will be attending –14 players at every session would be ideal.
• we plan to start some introductory sessions for new players and those returning from injury in September – we will keep you posted with details of this initiative.
• Please ask your friends to Like our Facebook page & visit the website – help us spread the word
We would ask for your ongoing support and assistance to enable us to continue to grow the club.
We are currently in the process of revising the rules and will be reissuing them with some minor tweaks on 1 August. When reissued we will be asking all to read them, especially those who referee at sessions. If anyone is unsure of the interpretation we will be happy to explain them before the sessions start. Again my thanks to those who do offer to referee especially while injured or unavailable to play. It really helps and makes the sessions far easier to manage.
We will also shortly issue a questionnaire to all members to gauge feedback on what we do, how we do it and areas on which we can improve. We would welcome your honest constructive feedback.
We have continued to play social and competitive games and full reports are available on the website and Facebook. In summary:
• A social team had a successful game against a new walking football team based in Goole and 8 members were involved across all age groups.
• Our 65+ team have been involved in tournaments in Rochdale and Rothwell and topped it all with a success in a tournament in York – a signed shirt to add to the trophy cabinet.
• Our 60+ team were unbeaten in the Rothwell Old Boars tournament and are looking forward to the regional heat of the Walking Football United cup which takes place at WFC on 17 Sep
• Our 50+ competition team has had a lean period finishing second by 3 points to Retro Rovers in the South Yorks League and were well beaten in the EFL National Finals played at Aston Villa.
We have a few tournaments in coming months and I would urge all members to look at the website and update your availability for any of the fixtures. If you are unsure on how to access or use the website please have a word with David Holbrow who would be happy to assist you.
As always if anyone has any concerns or issues please feel free to speak to me or indeed any of the committee.
Updated 00:09 - 31 Jul 2017 by David Holbrow
Facebook Wakefield Walking Football