WALNEY CENTRAL ARLFC
Walney Central Sports & Social Club, Central Drive, Walney Island.
Walney Central was founded in 1936 when a team of players marked out their own pitch at Tummerhill Marshes. Central Drive became the clubs home ground in the 1950’s when an ex-army hut containing a bath and changing rooms was purchased and erected on the site.
In 1970 ‘The Cents’ were forced to move back to Tummerhill Marshes to make way for a planned extensive building programme. This however did not materialise and in 1978 Central Drive became Walney Central’s permanent home. The existing clubhouse was officially opened in 1984 and the facilities up-graded over the years.
Many players have joined the professional ranks from Walney over the subsequent years, but the greatest day of glory in the clubs history was playing in the second round of the Rugby League Cup against Oldhamon February 27th 1960 .
Walney Central joined the Conference League in 1991 and were promoted 3 seasons later into the Premier Division but unfortunately 2 seasons ago were demoted to the first division. However, last season (2003/04) Paul Crarey (ex-pro with Barrow) was appointed as coach and Walney would have returned to the Premier Division but were beaten to promotion by Featherstone Lions on points difference only.
Players to join the ranks of the professionals in recent years include Darren Wilson, Ryan Corbert, Daniel Lockhart,Brad Nicholls and Stuart Dancer (all Barrow), Jamie Smith (Hull, Workington and Barrow), Ian Devlin (Whitehaven), Gareth Kerr (Workington), Gary Broadbent (Widnes, Salford and Whitehaven) and Ronnie Kettlewell (Warrington) but to name a few.
GROUND: Central Drive Walney Island Barrow-in-Furness
TEAM COLOURS: Blue, Red and White