1. Forthcoming Season and Training
2. Expectations of Players
1. It has been a long season that has not yet finished for many players in the club. Therefore it has been agreed that pre-season training will begin 6 weeks before the first league game.
For the first four weeks training will be 7.30 – 8.30 on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
For the final two weeks training will be on the same evenings but will be 7.30 – 9.00.
It has been recognised that more and more players struggle to make a 7.00pm start so it is hoped a more prompt start by all can be made with putting the time back.
The format of pre-season training will be a little different this time with the emphasis on training with the ball, small-sided games, touch and so forth. In the last two weeks training will then move to team play and organisation with warm-up games being scheduled for Saturdays (essentially so training mid-week is not disrupted).
2. As you can see from what has been outlined above, the expectation of players is that they arrive fit to training and do not expect to get fit through attending club sessions. That expectation will continue throughout the season when players should be looking to continue and maintain their own fitness for the game.
As a result of that discussion some players have asked to use the club starting on the first Thursday in June (2nd at 7.30pm) to play touch or have a game of football, followed by a ‘soft drink’ after, to keep their bodies ticking over... All players are welcome to attend these sessions.
3. Whilst we have the Vets Tour regularly taking place many who attended the meeting would also like to see a Senior/1st XV tour also. To that end R. Dickson (Paddy!) has agreed to organise a number of fund-raising events within the club – if you feel you would like to help or have ideas for an event please contact Paddy direct.
4. Players are encouraged to seek sponsors as soon as possible during the summer so the information can be with Alan Wilkes, Bob Harding and Sara Taylor – a new ‘package of kit’ will be on display in the entrance to the club very soon.
Would players e-mail Gary Taylor their holiday dates as soon as possible so planning for warm-up games can be made with the majority of players present, please?
As from next season all teams selected will again be posted by the entrance to the club after Tuesday night’s selection.
Finally, thanks to everyone in all teams for a season of much promise at all levels – there aren’t too many new grey hairs!